Monday, August 3, 2015

Party Thoughts

Good morning!
As some of you know, I spent a few days in the past week getting a letterbox ready to plant in memory of Daniel on the fourth anniversary of our accident. Yesterday evening Paul, Amena, Joseph and I went to a cemetery (I can’t tell you which one because it would be cheating) in Hubbardston and planted it. We walked all over the cemetery and found some interesting things including a headstone indicating the man buried there had served in the  military but he had no flag. I told Joseph to remember where he was so we could give him one next May. Anyway, it was good and this morning I was thinking. . .
Log book, stamp, box, paper towel for wrapping the stamp in, and plastic bag all ready to go. Yes, we did make the log book and carve the stamp ourselves. Because that's just what we do.

I’ve been reading the Harry Potter books and watched the movies last week. If you have read the books or watched the  movies, you may recall that Nearly Headless Nick invites Harry to his Deathday Party. Harry goes with Ron and Hermione and they don’t have a particularly good time because everyone else there is dead, the food is all rotten, and it is in a cold dungeon.
Log book, stamp, etc., in the bag.

After planting the letterbox yesterday, I got to thinking—what a brilliant idea is having a Deathday Party! I mean, it doesn’t make us miss the person any less, but it does take away some of the sadness and it certainly gives us something to do to get our mind off being sad. Then, I was thinking more. We celebrate birthdays so celebrating a deathday really isn’t much different because they’re just flip sides of a coin. I mean, when a person is born, they are just moving from one plane of existence to another and when they die they are doing the same. Do they celebrate deathdays as birthdays in the spirit world? I wonder.
Letterbox ready to be planted. Honestly, it was as much fun planting as it is finding others so I think more planting will be in our future.


Anyway, the next one coming up is Papa; I guess we should start planning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment