Sunday, June 5, 2016

Cook's Canyon Wildlife Sanctuary

I have been doing a lot of reflective writing in my journal that hasn't made it to this or any other blog and that is fine. That said, I know I've mentioned recently, but don't remember where, that I love history. I've always loved history even if it had to be on my terms rather than a prescribed regimen such as we typically find in a classroom. For this reason, I really thought that I would like New England. And in some ways, I do. There is a lot of history here. There is a lot of evidence of the history of the European colonists here. While I do like learning about these things, I have come to more deeply understand that there is a lot of history in California where I grew up, in New Mexico and Idaho where I've lived, and here in Massachusetts. A lot more than meets the eye in most cases.
What I have discovered is that I really love the history of the land. Part of this history necessarily includes people since people cannot live without the land and I do enjoy that as well but not in and of itself, more as a part of the history of the land.
Through letterboxing and hiking for the Cub Scout Hiking Leaderboard, I have seen more of the natural history of this area than I would otherwise have. On Friday, May 27, Joseph and I visited Cook's Canyon. I obtained permission to plant letterboxes there and we drive by the entrance every time we go to Quabbin Regional Middle/High School so I figured we needed to check it out. We planted a letterbox series of three happy boxes and took some pictures while enjoying the beautiful (if buggy) day.
This is a cool hydrant but I still find it odd to run across these somewhere like a Wildlife Sanctuary.
Dam.


Toad.

Joseph on one of the several bridges across muddy areas.

Another view of the dam.

A tree. It is still alive in spite of the fact that Joseph could have easily stood in the center.

Stone stairs leading....?

No comments:

Post a Comment