Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Carving

This is going to be short because there is so much to do and so little time in which to accomplish it all.
Every stamp, at least those that I carve, begins with a drawing.

Life has been very life-like around here as of late. Yesterday there was no school for the Quabbin district so I scheduled Seth and Joseph for no school as well. I really think it would be difficult to get work done with the distractions provided by a Cedric and an Amena. I know they can be distracting when I’m attempting to get things done sometimes.
The drawing is transferred to the Speedy-Carve (which is a lot like a 4" x 6" x 1/4" eraser).

Yesterday I had an appointment with the dentist in the morning. That went well. No cavities. After, since I was already out and about, I decided to go to Michael’s to get some Speedy-Carve. That’s the stuff that I use to carve stamps. Since I was near the exit for Coggshall Park, I thought I’d go check on “To Have a Child....” because someone reported that they couldn’t find it. I parked in the parking lot and got out and realized Birkenstocks were not the best footwear for such an activity so I left and went home.
Then carving begins. This is really not a good picture but at least you can tell I've been doing something due to all the little shavings or whatever you call the little pieces of stuff I've carved off the block. Or sheet. Or whatever.

I really wanted to take the boys to Barre Falls Dam and do the Cold Creek loop but they took turns not cooperating so it ended up never happening. Very annoying because it was a beautiful day just perfect for a lovely hike in the woods. If they get done early enough today, we will go today instead. (Actually, I think these plans have changed since the Cub Scouts will be doing this hike Sunday and I would like to go with them. We will go to Dunn Park maybe and find some of the stamps we haven't there yet.)
All finished. Can you tell what it is?

There was a Pack 12 leaders meeting last night. Before I left, I told the boys that they needed to recite an Article of Faith for scriptures and that they should say family prayer even though it was only them. Cedric did the 1st AofF and I thought he would only want to do that but he told Seth and Joseph to do one as well. Can’t complain about that. Seth did the 4th (it’s is favorite, I think) and Joseph did the 6th. Cedric also said a prayer. And, yes, I am relying on Seth and Joseph for reporting most of this.
I always have to try it out to make sure it doesn't need any fine-tuning. I didn't think this did so this is what it is.

There is so much more I could say but I just don’t feel like it. Although I will treat you to a paragraph that I wrote yesterday but did not post:
Doctors, especially obstetricians, must carry massive amounts of malpractice insurance. I’ve heard that this insurance typically costs in the neighborhood of $100,000 each year. The fact that in 2000 over 70% of American obstetricians had been sued for malpractice indicates. . . . what? That they have to have it in case they get sued? That maybe the reason they are being sued is because of what they are doing? I find that last suggestion to be an interesting one and suspect that it is true.
The progression from first idea (top left) to the final drawing (the one cut out) to the stamp and stamped. Any ideas which child of mine this might be for?


Have a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment