Friday, March 25, 2016

Today's Blurb

Good morning! It is cold (even I will agree that 35° is, indeed, cold) and rainy and if it weren’t for swollen, tender glands just below my right ear, I might give in to the very tempting thought of hot chocolate. Maybe tea. It just is the right kind of day for hot chocolate, a fire, and a book or two along with a manuscript perhaps. Of course, there is the slight issue of school for Seth and Joseph. Also, we really need to venture out to Lancaster to pick up Seth’s new glasses; the poor child needs them desperately.
This is from the Pack 12 hike Saturday. Joseph is one of the few to make it all the way across the river. I'd like to go back when the ground isn't quite so soggy (my feet got wet).

I am thirty pages from the end of The Cultural Life of the American Colonies unless I decide to read the bibliography which I might just do because some of the notes the author included are quite interesting. Yes, I already took a peek. My notetaking has fallen off but I think it’s because there isn’t quite as much information in these last chapters as there was in the first. Ironically, I think it is the information in these last chapters that might prove to be more useful.
Seth and Joseph did not finish their school work yesterday in time to go to the LEGO Club at the library. I got a text about 4:30 saying that one of the books I requested was in. Because the library is not open today, and wouldn’t have been open late enough for me to stop by when I went to pick up Amena, I decided to run out then. Turns out that not just one of the books was in, all three were! Holy cow. So now I have three new books to read by April 14 as well as finish The Cultural Life. I don’t think it will be too difficult. One of the books is The Definitive Def Leppard Visual History and I went through almost half of it this morning before I got busy with dishes and other such domestic things. One of the other two, Adrenalized: Life, Def Leppard, and Beyond is by Phil Collin with Chris Epting and is a quick read even if it isn’t quite as cohesive as I’d like. It’s somewhat choppy (which one might surmise from my comment about cohesiveness—why do I repeat myself?) and, in my opinion, has far too many f bombs in the first chapter of 45 pages which leads me to believe there most likely will be throughout. The third, Dancing With Myself is, as one might expect, by Billy Idol. I’m saving it for last because I read a few pages on amazon.com and from what I read, I think I like his style and will find it quite readable. Before I can get on with any of that, I have to finish a chapter in The Cultural Life. Then I’ll read another chapter of Phil and then the last chapter of The Cultural Life. Then I’ll see if want to read the bibliography. If I do, I will after another chapter of Phil.
Joseph is just about done with his cobra stick bomb. He learned how to do them at his den meeting Tuesday and he did this Wednesday morning. The video didn't work.

The things we do in the name of research. Yes, I do like Def Leppard and Billy Idol but yes, I really am reading these books for research.
In the meantime, there are only seven minutes until school for the boys so it’s time to be off doing other things.

Have a splendiferous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment