Friday, January 8, 2016

Same Day, Different Post

Yes, it is the same day. Yes, I should probably be doing something else. However, here I am and here I will stay. For the moment.
Yesterday Paul sent me a link to a craigslist ad for eight Star Wars books. Of the eight, and one of them is a trilogy of the books from the original movies, I had seven of them. One of them, Heir to the Empire I had actually wanted to read because at some point in time, Paul picked up the third book of the series of which this is the first. I first read the book when Laura was less than two (it was published in 1991) while we were house-sitting for Vaniman's. Bret had the book; I read it. And thus began my love for the Expanded Universe. Oh yeah.

I read a few pages last night but I was very tired and had done a lot of reading during the day (when I most likely should have been doing other things) and needed to go to bed (to do more reading before actually attempting sleep). This morning I read a few more pages because, you know, I just can't resist. And there, on page 15, Coruscant is named. It is not named in the original Star Wars movies. It is named in the prequels (which obviously came out after this book). It is named by Timothy Zahn who wrote Heir to the Empire. Just out of curiosity, I did a search: “how did Corusant (yes, I spelled it incorrectly) get its name”. I suspected that I knew but I wanted to be sure because it's nice to be right.
I was right. Stack Exchange says, “Regarding Coruscant appearing in the prequels, Timothy Zahn had this to say at Celebration III:
"Just to make it clear, I did not invent the planet…George Lucas had invented the planetwide city a long time ago. When I was starting the Thrawn Trilogy, they told me to coordinate with the West End Games source material, and they had it listed as the Imperial Planet. Well nobody names a planet 'Imperial Planet,' so I thought it needed a name, so I picked the word that means glittering: 'Coruscant.' Apparently, when it came time to choose a name [for the films], people persuaded George to go with Coruscant and be done with it. So I felt very vindicated -- the tail wagging the dog. It was an honor to be slipped into the movies this way.”
Wookiepedia has this quote: "Over the years, many artists and designers have contributed to the articulation of the various universes of Lucasfilm. Taking their cues from the minimal words of description on a script page, these talented men and women have sketched, drawn and/or modeled creatures of magnificent breadth, unimaginable terror, and mind-boggling eccentricity. Some of these creatures have made it into film, while others, because of the way stories unravel, have not (so far). But this does not mean they do not exist. For once something is created, no matter what the context, it takes on a life of its own."
Foreword written by George Lucas in Monsters and Aliens from George Lucas[src]
My point? Just that George Lucas had a good thing going—he created this vast universe and people loved it so much that they took it ran with it. And it appears that he was okay with this. Okay enough to use some of what was created by others to use in the movies.
According to an interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Lucas isn't crazy about what has happened with Star Wars and says that he would have done things differently. In fact, while he was still involved, he was approaching The Force Awakens differently. (Legaspi, Althea. "George Lucas Is Not a Fan of "Retro" "Star Wars" Approach." Rollingstone.com. Rolling Stone, 30 Dec. 2015. Web. 8 Jan. 2016.)
It appears that Disney didn't think the story George Lucas wanted to tell would make fans happy. It appears that Disney wanted to do a space opera while Lucas wanted to do a soap opera. People may argue that once a piece of art is created, it belongs to the viewers. (Libbey, Dirk. “George Lucas Finally Reveals Why He Broke Up With StarWars.” cinemablend.com. Cinema Blend, LLC., Nov. 2015. Web. 8 Jan. 2016.) And while I agree with this in part, I believe also that George Lucas created the darn Star Wars universe and as such, he could bloody well do whatever he wanted to with it. If I am a composer and create a piece of music and it is performed, the people who listened to it would have no right to tell me that I could no longer make changes to the piece of music.
Disney thought that fans wouldn't want to hear the story that Lucas had in mind? What kind of a load of crap is that?
When Disney bought the franchise, they announced initially that they would be sticking to the story as Lucas envisioned it. Then they, being the omniscient beings they seem to think they are, changed their minds because they felt that fans wouldn't want to hear the story that the creator of the Star Wars universe had in mind. Because of this, all Expanded Universe material with the exception of the six original movies and the Clone Wars TV show and movie have been renamed Star Wars Legends and are considered non-canon. That is a load of crap, especially since they will remain as reference material for the new Expanded Universe which will consist of the original six movies, the Clone Wars TV show and movie, and anything else that is published after April 24, 2015. (Wookiepedia) If they aren't going to stick with the story, then they shouldn't be allowed to use any of the material.
In spite of the fact that I really detest what Disney has done, I am still somewhat torn. I really like the characters Rey and Finn in The Force Awakens. And BB8 is cute in a puppy-dog kind of way. The story is only somewhat okay—there are many plot holes; the old characters are only somewhat okay—many of them behave in ways that are completely out of character (Han wouldn't have lost the Millenium Falcon, Threepio wouldn't have sounded like a...whatever he sounded like, I mean, seriously?, R2 wouldn't have gone into hibernation, Luke wouldn't have run away to hide).
So, I will continue to collect the OLD Expanded Universe and might very well ignore the NEW Expanded Universe. If I don't ignore it, it will become, in my home, something other than Legends—Disney crap, maybe? Yes, I like that idea. If I have anything from the NEW EU, I'll call it Disney poop and will warn people to be wary of the stench.

No comments:

Post a Comment