Thursday, February 25, 2016

Change

Good morning! I just had to look at the weather because it’s so warm right now. It appears to be 56° at the moment. So for fun I looked at the hourly forecast. It is supposed to get steadily cooler throughout the day until 8:00 when we have an expected temperature of 33°. Isn’t that interesting. Last night it was quite warm and windy and rainy leaving us with a damp, windswept world, lots of glowering clouds and a creek overflowing with rushing water. The wind blew open the front door and the doormat, which is a fair number of feet from the open doorway out to the rest of the word, is wet from rain. I don’t remember if I dreamed or actually saw a weather report that indicated we were due for thunder but I either dreamed or we actually had some during the night and in my dream or half-awake state remember thinking that the weather report was correct. It was that kind of night.
Jay should recognize these two pictures. They were taken down at Daniel's grave.

Last night I wrote down a few thoughts so I wouldn’t forget them. No matter how well I think I’ve implanted something in my mind, the chances it will still be there in the morning are not always good. These thoughts had a better chance but I still didn’t want to risk it. Now, I am left wondering if I remember because I wrote them down or because I would have remembered anyway or if, perhaps, it is because of the subject. Perhaps a combination of all three.
Some time ago, within a few months of our accident, there was an ad on the sidebar of my Facebook page that said, “Accidents ruin lives.” It was, of course, an ad for an attorney who deals with lawsuits resulting from accidents and of course this person wants people to believe that accidents really do ruin lives. The problem is that it just isn’t true.
Our accident did not ruin our lives. It forever changed them, but did not ruin them. Only I have the ability to allow my life to be ruined. Only you have the ability to allow your life to be ruined. Fourteen years is too short a time to live in this life but Daniel’s death did not ruin his life, it did change it forever. Daniel’s death, my fractured back and concussion did not ruin my life; it did change it forever. I can say the same thing for Alisha, Laura, Joanna, Amena, Cedric, Seth, and Joseph, as well as anyone else who knew Daniel. For some people, those who did not know him well, they might not have recognized the change and they might not realize that it is even still there, but it did, even if just a small bit.
Accidents ruin lives? I disagree. Accidents change lives. For better or worse. Forever. Yesterday a girl in Daniel’s class and her brother, in Amena’s class, were in an accident on the way to school: Brittany and Griffin Murch. Not the only accident, but the only fatal one. Brittany was killed and I can tell you that seventeen years is too short a time to live this life. Their lives are forever changed but they are not ruined. They are not ruined unless they each make that choice. Griffin was as of last night in critical care. They are in my prayers and my heart aches for them.
My life is forever changed.
A nest of some type way up in the tree.

Lots of water. Lots of change.

Kitty was having fun exploring, too. Misty didn't go down with us.

More water.

Normally, there is water along the right in this picture, not the left.

Ditto.

Just lots more than usual.

The three explorers.

Seth was really checking out the water and things under the water. He was amazed at the way the pressure from the water pressed the boots close to his legs.

In other news, Amena missed the bus this morning. They had a substitute driver Tuesday and yesterday morning. We caught up at Jeppson’s driveway. The roads are littered with broken bits and pieces of trees and branches brought down in the wet and windy night. Some people in Hubbardston lost power for a time during the night (it’s amazing how they still remain connected). I went down to the creek with Seth and Joseph and Kitty and took some pictures. Nature is so amazing.
Now I am going to get ready to go about my day and decide how the changes are going to affect my life.

Have a grateful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment