Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Guns and Soccer

Cedric did not make the soccer team. He is disappointed. I am disappointed for him. At first he thought that he’d like to do Cross Country if he didn’t make the team but has since changed his mind. And then changed it back. He also wants to do Track in the spring which is great.
Amena didn’t get off the bus Thursday afternoon. I wasn’t sure what to think about that because I had said to her that I wanted to leave Seth and Joseph home with her once she got off the bus so I could go watch part of Cedric’s tryouts. She decided to stay at school since there was nothing to do at home. She almost got left at the school, though, because I didn’t know she was there and didn’t see her until we were leaving. I happened to look over on the sidewalk along the building and she was there. I think I’d decided before we left that if she was not at the school, I would call the police when I got home. I’m glad I didn’t have to do that.
Seth and Joseph (and a small Brimhall) on a table rock at Coggshall Park in July (the 2nd, I believe).

Friday morning the boys helped me clean the outside of the refrigerator. It had been more than four years since it was done. I can tell because I found a sticky note that Daniel had written chores and who was to do them. I thought that would be a relatively quick job because it was just the outside but I thought wrong. I didn’t realize how dirty it was. Or how much gunk was under it. It ended up being an all morning project.
I managed to find time to peruse Facebook and it seems that there was the usual stuff there including about guns. I guess that’s to be expected since we live in a country populated by millions of morons and that dude shot and killed two television reporters just a few days ago. Of course he used a gun.
The top ten causes of death in the US are:
1. Heart disease
2. Cancer
3. Chronic lower respiratory disease
4. Stroke
5. Accidents
6. Alzheimer’s disease
7. Diabetes
8. Influenza and pneumonia
9. Kidney disease
10. Suicide*
That being the case, why do we hear so much about guns and how bad they are? One of the things I saw was a video where people opened a gun shop in New York City. In this shop they sold “guns with a history.” For example, they had the gun that was used at Sandy Hook. They had the gun that was used in I don’t remember all the places and I really don’t think it matters.
A butterfly from the same visit to Coggshall.

Every gun does have a history. I have (not at my house, BTW) a British .303 with a shady past although in my possession it has been used to shoot (not in MA)into the air on New Year's Eve. I have (again, not at my house) a .22 pistol that has been used for target practice. I have a .22 rifle (also not at my house) that has been used to shoot squirrels and targets and dogs that messed with my goats (that was in CA). If any of them were at my house now, they would be used to shoot squirrels because my cat can't get them all and any predators that messed with my goats. Can I guarantee my children wouldn't try to get them out? No. Can I teach them how to properly take care of and handle a gun? Yes. I have an uncle who has owned probably hundreds of guns. I remember some of them being on display. He was a collector. Currently, he still has some but many of them have been given to his grandsons. Lucky kids, they are.
Why don’t we hear about the knife that stabbed x number of people? Why don’t we hear about the bomb that killed y number of people and maimed z number of people? I mean, we usually do hear about them, for a time, but then they fade away only to be dredged up by those who don’t think guns are any worse. Every single time a gun is used to kill, we hear about it for about ever and then we also hear about every single other incident. Yes, I think I’m exaggerating a bit. So do all the people who want to ban guns.
A BIG turtle from the same visit. Wouldn't want this guy to bite my finger.

Saturday Seth had his first soccer game. They played a Holden team which was a first. Never played Holden. Never played in Holden. Our game schedule still is not available which makes planning for Saturday’s a bit difficult but the rumor is that the team is supposed to play Holden, in Holden, a total of six times. That’s great. Except that I don’t like their field. I like Hubbardston’s field and I like Barre’s. Hardwick’s is okay. Petersham’s is barely okay. Holden I like less than any other.
That said, Hubbardston lost. Seth says the last goal Holden made didn’t count so that would make the score 4 to 0. The good thing is that it wasn’t more than 4 to 0. The other good thing is that I’m sure they’ll do better next time.
That said, Seth had practice yesterday. While he had practice, the U12 travel team was also having practice. On that team is a boy (several, actually, but one in particular). This boy and Seth probably have about the same amount of raw talent but Seth is playing on the town team, and this other boy is playing travel. The travel teams have more drills and typically get to have one practice a week with the SCORE people. They are professional players/trainers. And I think that is the difference between Cedric and some of the boys who made the middle school team. I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am.
Up for today is a lot of stuff. My to-do list is ten items long and there are a couple, maybe a few, things not on it yet. So, should be a fun day.
Have a wonderful one!

*Nichols, Hannah. "The top 10 leading causes of death in the US." Medical News Today. MediLexicon, Intl., 16 Jun. 2015. Web. 29 Aug. 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment