Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Branches

Good morning. I had to make my list of things to do because if I don’t, I can talk myself out of doing anything. It is nice outside but it is quite obvious that it is going to be another warm day. Yesterday afternoon was too warm for me.
Yesterday morning the first kitten went bye-bye. He is going to live with Bill and Rebecca Kemp and his name is Velcro. It is very appropriate for him as he likes to cling (if you can call holding on with your claws clinging) to whatever he is near. He successfully used the litter box yesterday and took a nap by Bill. They love animals and I have no doubt that he’ll have a good life. It is momentarily sad for Kitty and we miss him as well but at least we know that he has a good home. I do rather wonder how mother cats feel about the abrupt loss of kittens.
Yesterday afternoon I made rhubarb popsicles, rhubarb muffins, rhubarb scones, rhubarb coffee cake, and Jessica made rhubarb lemonade. Today I want to make rhubarb pie and rhubarb juice (and a part of me will always wonder what rhubarb wine is like). And freeze ice-cream but not with rhubarb in it. I thought the muffins would be for lunches but they disappeared as snacks after school rather quickly. There were seven or eight left but that’s a far cry from the two dozen that were made.
For dinner we had grilled sausages, grilled broccoli, and salad. That was pretty good. Jessica was glad to have real food. I was glad to use up the last of the lettuce and some broccoli.
Just as we were sitting down to eat, the Rhodes’ arrived to pick up their kitten. I can’t tell you his name because they were deciding between two and right now I don’t remember what either of them was. Also a sad moment but Ben and Michelle are good people and it seems clear that Anthony, their grandson, loves cats as well. So, in spite of Kitty missing another baby and it being another slightly sad moment for us, he is in a good home now and will be loved and well taken care of.
And, we got a chocolate cake out of the deal!
When Cedric brought in the goats, I was going to water them. However, the bugs were so bad that I could not stand to be outside. The bugs have been terrible this year and they normally swarm around the goats but I think this year has been far worse for the poor animals. I’m not sure if it’s just because the bugs are so bad or if it’s because we have these bucks. I do know that when they come in at night the last two days Snowflake can’t wait to rub against the fence to get rid of bugs and scratch her many itches. Mornings are better which is good because if it was as bad in the morning as it is in the evening, I wouldn’t be able to milk.
Today I have a decent list of things to do. For dinner tonight we are having grilled chicken. Paul found some on sale last night. The sisters are on splits with sisters from another ward and the one we get has a gluten intolerance so no flour tonight. At least not for her.
When Paul got home and was cooking his dinner last night he suggested pasta salad. At the time I’d forgotten about the gluten thing but I’m tired of macaroni salad and said so. He said that we could have pasta with salad dressing (that must be the lazy way or the way of people who don’t know how to cook I’m thinking). I said that I added salad dressing to the last macaroni salad I made. He said that I should make less next time. I said that I made the same amount I always do; I used one box of pasta (which is usually one pound). He was slightly cantankerous because it had been too long since he last ate but I wasn’t going to be told I was doing things wrong just because he hadn’t eaten. I’m not sure he remembers that he gets cranky when it’s been too long between meals but I’ve told him. I know I get that way and if I see it happening, I do my best to control it. I’m not sure he sees it happening; he didn’t appear to know that it happens when I told him my observations.
I’ve already written more than I thought I was in the mood for and I haven’t even gotten to the topic that was really bugging me last night which is boards of education. Consider the following:

The Role of School Boards

The local school board is a critical public link to public schools. Whether elected or appointed, school board members serve their communities in several important ways.

·         First and foremost school boards look out for students. Education is not a line item on the school board’s agenda—it is the only item.
·         When making decisions about school programs, school boards incorporate their community’s view of what students should know and be able to do.
·         School boards are accessible to the public and accountable for the performannce of their schools.
·         School boards are the education watchdog for their communities, ensuring that students get the best education for the tax dollars spent.
("The Role of School Boards." The Role of School Boards. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 June 2014.)
“School boards look out for students.”
“Education...is the only item” on “the school board’s agenda.”
“School boards incorporate their community’s view of what students should know and be able to do.”
“School boards are accessible to the public.”
“School boards...are accountable for the performance of their schools.”
“School boards are the education watchdog for their communities, ensuring that students get the best education for the tax dollars spent.”
I could be wrong, but I think that school boards should consist mainly of educators and parents because they know the students and they know how to teach and they know what students need to learn. Just for fun, I looked up the Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education. This is what I found:
Maura O. Banta is the chair. She is IBM’s East Coast Regional Manager for Corporate Citizenship and Corporate Affairs. She is a member of United Ways of New England, Mass Taxpayers Foundation, and a few other things. She has been a member of boards and councils that have to do with education but nowhere do I see that she has any background in education.
Daniel Brogan a student. He seems to feel that having student representation is important and I think I agree with him. As a student, I think he has more business being on this board than Ms. Banta.
Vanessa Calderón-Rosado, Ph.D., is currently the Chief Executive Officer of Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción. I don’t see any educational background but she is married and has two sons and is, according to the Massachusets Board of Education website, active in the schools. As she has children, I think her spot on the board may be well filled. Again, I think she has more business on the board than does Ms. Banta.
Harneen Chernow is the director of the Massachusetts Division of the 1199SEIU Training and Upgrading Fund. It appears that most of her experience is in designing and implementing labor/management workforce partnerships. No education background but she does have two children and therefore has a vested interest in education.
Karen Daniels is a consultant with MassInsight. They apparently work with students to make sure more urban students are college ready. She has and educational background and was at one time a principal. Not only that, but she has a daughter. This woman belongs on the board.
Ruth Kaplan works for the Combined Jewish Philanthropies as the Director of the Boston-Haifa Connection. She has served on various educational boards and it appears from her different degrees that she most likely values education. She also has two daughters. I think her place on the board is probably well filled.
Matthew Malone is a Ph.D. I think (it doesn’t actually say) and is the MA Secretary of Education. He does have a background in education but it does not mention children. With his educational background his placement might be good but I really have to question the fact that he was appointed as the Secretary of Education by Deval Patrick. (Just me, you understand.)
James O’S. Morton is the president and CEO of the YMCA of Greater Hartford. He was born in England so he has that going for him (just kidding). His background seems to be in law but after practicing that became a teacher and coach. It does not mention children but his background seems to be one that would indicate a good fit on the board.
I was going to stop here but there are only three more.
Penny Noyce is the mother of five and seems to have worked to improve education, especially math and science although does not have a specific background in education (still, five children). She is also an author and founding trustee of the Noyce Foundation and founder of Tumblehome Learning.
This guy I like already. David Roach is a teacher. He started out as an English teacher and then moved on to Assistant Principal, Principal, and Superintendent. Doesn’t mention children but his background certainly qualifies him.
Mitchell D. Chester also has an education background having begun as an elementary school teacher. He has also been a middle school assistant principal and has held various positions in various programs. He does have  Ph.D. and he has a son. Definitely qualified.
("Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education." Board of Elementary and Secondary Education Members -. N.p., 25 Nov. 2013. Web. 03 June 2014.)
I’m sorry if that was somewhat boring. It is interesting to me that the chair has no background in education, there is no mention of her having children, and yet she is the chair. Why? Why is she even on the board? And why do so many of them come from around Boston? The last few didn’t say where they live but of the rest, other than Mr. Morton who lives in Springfield, appear to live in or at least near Boston. That’s surely fair and equal representation.
I can give you names of members of the school committee for Quabbin Regional Schools and which town they are from but that’s all unless I go digging and that would take too long.
In looking at this list of people, I can see that many of them do have children. Assuming that all parents want what is best for their children, you would think that these people want what is best for all children when it comes to education. There are a couple of problems here. First, all children are different. Therefore, what is best for one child may not be the best for another. Second, those who do have backgrounds in education have often been through the education mill. Education is great but it seems to me that a lot of what we call ‘education’ actually qualifies as ‘brainwashing.’ There is an agenda here, folks.
The more I think about it, the more I think education and medicine are but two branches of the same tree and quite frankly, that thought is a scary one. However, I’ve already taken up much time here and I think it is time to move on.

Have a fantabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment