Friday, June 6, 2014

Penmanship and Breakfast

Good morning! All day yesterday it seemed like Friday. I am happy to report that it was actually Thursday and today is actually Friday.
Several thoughts running through my mind today. One is about handwriting. It is amazing how many people have poor penmanship. I picked a paper up from the doctor’s office for Amena and whoever wrote Amena’s name on the envelope has penmanship that I would expect from someone who is left handed. Perhaps the person who wrote it is left handed. Perhaps not. The problem as I see it is that a lot of people write that way (at least it is legible). A lot of people have really messy penmanship. I value individuality. I really do. But if we don’t start having some conformity in penmanship, we are going to get to the point where no one can read anything that anyone else writes because we are each doing our own thing. So, how about let’s teach and stress proper penmanship in school. And while we’re at it, let’s teach and stress cursive so that it doesn’t become a lost art.
Another is about food. We have lovely cereals such as Cap’n Chrunch, Cocoa Pepples, Lucky Charms, etc., etc., etc. These cereals have lovely ingredients such as corn flour (that you know is over processed), sugar, oat flour (also over processed), brown sugar, coconut oil, salt (a ¾ cup serving has, get this, 200mg of sodium which is 8% of your ADA), niacinamide, yellow 5, reduced iron, zinc oxide, yellow 6, thiamin mononitrate, BHT, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid (these happen to be for Cap’n Crunch because it’s right here in front of me). How on earth is that better than a brownie which has flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, cocoa powder, butter, baking powder? Especially if I used whole wheat flour that I just ground myself, the eggs are fresh from my own chickens, the sugar is minimally processed, the cocoa powder is quality, and the baking powder is Rumford or another brand without aluminum. I refuse to feel bad if I let my children have brownies (or cake) for breakfast. Or pancakes. Some people eat donuts for goodness sake.
Yesterday morning Paul and I drove to his work and then I drove to Westborough for the two workshops I was planning on attending. They were both good but other than providing information about different resources available to small businesses were just a recap of several classes I’ve taken. It was kind of nice to see how these things I’ve learned can be of use, but I didn’t really learn a lot that I didn’t already know. Therefore, I’m not sure sitting there for six hours for a free lunch was really an optimal way to spend the day.
Yesterday I found this receipt in the living room from Friendly’s. The customer wrote on the back: “Mucho Besos Chicka!! [they need to work on their Spanish but I’ll forgive them] Tell that terrible old lady and mean families [grammer, too] to take the sticks out of their a***s and play pool. People suck. You were a wonderful server!! #itgetsbetter #itstheclimb #whatwouldmileydo #yolo #thecustomerisalwayswrong #HUMPDAY Have a great night!! Two satisfied customers. J” My poor Joanna. She is so good and the customers at Friendly’s sound like real jerks sometimes. It’s nice to know that some of them are good and have eyes. I hope they gave her a good tip.
Yesterday while I was gone, the Trivett’s came and stole Minnie away (that’s what Sarah named the kitten she was getting). I’m glad she has a good home where she will be loved. I do have to admit that I was a bit worried when I got home and couldn’t find her before I went in the house. And then it was probably half an hour before Amena told me what had transpired.
Now our lone kitten is very sad without her siblings. She was crying last night and she was just at the door. I think Kitty likes having someone to play with and I think it would be nice to keep her but I also would like her to have the chance for an indoor, or at least partially indoor, life. We have two dogs, after all, why not two cats?
I was going to take the time to download some pictures this morning but I don’t think I am. I need to do some soapy stuff and then go to the theater at noon to meet Amena and some friends. So, no time for pictures again today. Sometime soon.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment