Thursday, April 23, 2015

Cacophony

I just noticed the clock stopped at 5:54 this morning. It’s really a cool clock but there are times when I don’t mind a break from its chiming, if you can call it that, every half hour. Paul has quite a collection of clocks and most of them are very cool. He has mentioned that if he could afford to have them all fixed, he would love to have them all operational. That would be a cacophony and I would not be able to handle it. Therefore, I’m willing to just look at and admire the clocks. If they were all in working order, they would spend most of their time idle.
Yesterday, as is the case most days, I spent some time thinking. I have lots of time to think when I’m doing things like ironing patterns and laying them out to see how exactly I’m going to do whatever it is I’m planning on doing to/with them.
Yesterday I was thinking about how inconsistent people are. They tend to say one thing and do another. Or one person will say one thing that is supposed to apply to a whole group and then another will say something indicating something else. Thank goodness for good friends who are only a phone call away. I have family, too, of course, who can fill this roll but the thoughts yesterday needed one particular person. Thanks, Diane.
This is pretty cool. All the lines are from water collected around the edge that followed the path of least resistance when Seth started jumping.

I’ve been reading a lot about different aspects of female reproductive cycles and other pertinent topics. One project I’ve been working on is a chart of sexually transmitted infections (which is the fairly new, politically correct term and I only use it because some of them actually are infections and while some are diseases, they are passed from one to another by an infected individual). Guess what? You can say what you want about sexual freedom and protected sex but I’m thinking the only good way to prevent this stuff is abstinence and even that isn’t a 100% guarantee you won’t be infected. Yikes!
I’ve also been reading (as some of you are aware) about menopause and the cycles that women go through from birth to death (of which, menopause is one). In one book I’m currently reading about The Pill. Stay away. Stay far away. The Pill, whatever form you use, is bad news for your body. It typically, but not always, prevents a woman from becoming pregnant but it has other effects as well. I’m not going to take the time to discourse on it right now because it would take more than the few hundred words I want to use. If you are interested, keep an eye out for something in the near future.
Today is going to be a busy day. I’ve got Laura’s dress to work on. I’ve got an STI chart to finish (and I am going to do so today). I’ve got a book to read at least 30 pages of. I’ve got sister missionaries coming for lunch and the Petzold’s and Paul’s aunt and uncle (who will be here for the aunt’s funeral who died a couple of weeks ago) coming for dinner.
Just a little aside, did you know that if you move your right hand over to the left one key, you get judy instead of just? Interesting. That’s not what I was going to say but it is what I just discovered.
Yesterday Paul sent me a you-tube video indicating that we’ve, and I use that term loosely, been serving pasta wrong. When you drain and rinse the pasta and set it aside while you do the sauce and then dish up the pasta and then the sauce, that’s wrong. You should not drain, and therefore waste the cooking fluid, the pasta but keep it in the water and you should be preparing the sauce while the pasta is cooking. Then, you add the pasta which you scoop out of the water to the sauce. If necessary, you can use a little of the cooking liquid to the entire dish and if you want to add herbs and/or cheese, you do so to the pasta and sauce and combine all together.
Why is this interesting? Because I haven’t been doing it all wrong. Only partly. Until I moved here, I NEVER, and I do mean never, dished up my pasta and THEN my sauce. We always had them together and I thought it ridiculous to do it otherwise but that’s the way Paul did it so I started doing it here. I do drain my pasta, but have never rinsed it. Guess what? I’m going to start doing it my way. It’s a heck of a lot easier and actually makes fewer dirty dishes. So there.

Have a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment