Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Great Start

Well, Amena is off to a great start—she missed the bus again. The light was still of at 6:00 when I went in to investigate and, sure enough, she was asleep. I don’t know when she is going to learn that she cannot stay up as late as she does and still get up in time to get ready for school. She always assures me that she can and we are in the second full month of school and she’s missed the bus twice and come close a few times. I don’t know... I didn’t mind hurrying to take Daniel when he missed it once because I knew that he went to bed at a reasonable hour (8:00, just like everyone else) on school nights and got up at 5:30 and ate breakfast, got ready, and was always out waiting for the bus. Once in an entire school year. Not twice in the first two months. Joanna took her again and I told Joanna that she’s too nice. She said, “Well, do we make her walk?” No, but if she can’t be bothered to get up in time to catch the bus, I’m not going to bust my butt getting everything ready for the boys; I’d let her be late. Anyway, hopefully she will learn this time that it doesn’t matter what time the clock says, if the bus is there, it is time. Also, it does not pay to take your time and rush right before it is time.
The good news is that I think Cedric will be more like Daniel. Their brothers, I’m not so sure about.
In other news, I went in yesterday to pick up a packet of information for the doula training at Heywood. There is a lot of stuff to read and a lot of it is repetitious. After reading, there are a lot of forms and papers to fill out and did I mention that it is repetitious? Holy cow. I think I read about standard precautions (but never called that) three times, blood borne pathogens at least twice. What to do in the event of a fire was covered two or three times and how to safely pick up heavy objects at least two times. Did I mention that it was repetitious?
Tomorrow I get to go in for orientation from 1:30 to 4:30. Seth and Joseph are going to go home with Riley and his mom will take them to practice. I’ll meet them at the rec field when I’m done and won’t have to worry about Seth being late.
The actual doula training is Friday from 5:00 to 7:00 in the evening, Saturday from 8:00 in the morning to 3:30 in the afternoon, and Sunday from 8:00 in the morning to 2:00 in the afternoon. The hours are fewer than the toLabor training so I am curious to see what is covered and what toLabor covered that Heywood doesn’t. I asked my mother if she thought it was somewhat hypocritical for me to do this program though Heywood given my thoughts and opinions and feelings about hospitals and birth. The more I thought about it, the more I think not. After all, many women choose to give birth in the hospital for whatever reason and they deserve to have a good birth experience. Doulas can help ensure that they do. So, while having a doula in a hospital might not be what I want, it could very well be the best way to help some women. Even if I think they’re crazy for being in the hospital in the first place.
Today I need to make some phone calls and get some sewing done. Other than that, not much going on.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment