Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Day

Good morning! It looks to be sunny and clear today. Hopefully we’ll have a spring-like temperature today. Other than feeding goats soon, I need to go for a walk. More about that later. Right now Seth is studying for a rock cycle test that he has for Friday.
Busy-ish day yesterday. Bread was successfully made in the morning as was pumpkin cake baked in dinosaur and teddy bear pans. A couple of the dinosaurs stuck in the pan because I put too much batter in but other than that it turned out well.
Emily West came over for sewing and Zak got to hold Adelaide. He’d never really gotten to hold a baby before and it seemed pretty obvious. She was pretty happy, though, and he did an okay job.
I had an IEP meeting at school for Cedric. He is all caught up to grade level and they considered doing away with his IEP altogether. The problem seems to be that it requires a battery of tests in order to do so and they quite disrupt the normal flow of things. I’m not sure why it would be any better to do this next year than now but for now he’s just on observation. Mrs. Chabot, Cedric’s teacher, had to tell me again how impressed she was with Cedric’s book trailer. It appears that there is someone who teaches college who also spends time at HCS and she saw the trailer and wanted to use it for one of her classes. I’m not sure exactly why because there are mistakes but still, pretty cool.
I was going to make some rice to have with broiled fish for lunch but I completely forgot to start the rice and then it was suddenly 12:00 and by the time the rice would have been done, it would have been time for me to go to school for the meeting. So, no rice. And the fish didn’t happen until I got home about 1:30 which means I didn’t eat until almost 2:00. I did have another yogurt before I went to school because all I had for breakfast was a yogurt.
For dinner we had lentil soup with salami and salad. We still have some of the salad left over from the April Fool’s dinner. It’s going away but the going is slow. It’s iceberg lettuce which doesn’t help me want to eat it no matter how it’s fixed up.
Today has already been an interesting day. I started making sandwiches for Amena and Cedric and Amena reminded me about the same time I remembered that today is a half day so they don’t need lunches. Snacks, sure; lunches, no.
So I sat down to start working on this and my computer dinged at me letting me know that the battery was getting low. So I looked for my cord. And couldn’t find it. It wasn’t any of the places I normally put it or any of the places I don’t usually put it. Very annoying. I looked on the counter, on the hutch including drawers, upstairs on the desk, in Amena’s bed, in the back room. Nada. I kind of just gave up after a few minutes while I helped the boys with their morning tasks. Then Joanna wanted a paper printed out she’d done on Zak’s computer (which is very much like mine). It wouldn’t recognize the printer and it wouldn’t install it. More annoyance. So Joanna asked if I could email it to myself and print it out. I laughed and said my computer might die. She got Zak’s cord out and I plugged in and emailed her paper from my Hotmail account to one of my gmail accounts on Zak’s computer. I opened mine and opened the document in gmail and it was proving to be a somewhat time consuming process to either copy and paste and fix the formatting or open in google.docs so I went back to Hotmail and opened it from the ‘sent’ folder. Then I was able to print it out rather easily and plugged my laptop back in with Zak’s cord hoping to get as charged as possible before he left.
In the meantime, the goats got fed in spite of the fact that the bucket for grain wasn’t in the back room with the grain where I keep it and it wasn’t with the shoes by the stairs which is where Cedric said he left it. It was, however, on the shelves in the kitchen where the orange pitcher usually is. They got lots of vegetable scraps as well as grain. I still need to take them some hay.
Yesterday afternoon, Joseph decided to water the goats because they didn’t have any water (they must have been thirsty). He took the pitcher out about 2/3 full and was attempting to pour it over the fence like I do but he’s a bit shorter and wasn’t having much luck. He had a light bulb moment and set the pitcher down and walked away. I wasn’t sure where he’d gone and thought he might come in and ask for help. In a couple of minutes, he reappeared with a short ladder. What a good idea! Still, it wasn’t quite enough to give him the height he needed so he left again and came back with a slightly taller ladder. That did the trick. In a few minutes he came inside with the pitcher wanting more water to take out and then a few minutes later he wanted the pitcher filled once again. When he came in the last time he said, “Did you see what I did?” He was pretty proud of himself. Rightly so, I think.
Today looks to be another busy day with all the fun things I have scheduled plus scouts for Joseph and church tonight.  I was going to add pictures for you yesterday but Picassa was having difficulties. When I checked this morning they were still having difficulties so I am afraid pictures might have to wait yet another day.

In the meantime, have a splendiferous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment