Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Time. . .is going by. . .

I’m getting a head start on tomorrow just so I don’t forget and this is for my mother and anyone else out there who might have blood sugar problems. Dandelion root helps to regulate blood sugar. It can be taken as a syrup or as an infusion or as a tincture. Just so you know.
(I wrote the previous and the next paragraphs yesterday.)
So, I went to Meet the Doula Night and there were three pregnant people there. That was nice—it’s always nice to see pregnant bellies. The lactation consultant gave us a presentation which was very good. Meredeth was there and I really really wanted to stay and talk to her but at the same time, I really felt like I needed to get home. When I got here, I found out why. Seth was curled up on one couch with a blanket while everyone was reading scriptures. I sat down and Joseph came over to sit with me and he whispered to me that Seth had thrown up twice. Ahhhhh, the reason I needed to go home. We finished reading and everyone was sent to bed and I got Seth some water and dead Coke we have for such things. He had a tiny bit of each and I went about helping Joseph get in bed and when I came down, Seth was already utilizing the bowl I’d gotten him. Poor kid. He made it up to the bathroom and rinsed out his mouth and I told him I thought he should sleep on the couch because it would be easier than getting up and down off his bed (he’s on the top bunk). So he did. I got him situated with two blankets, his water and the Coke. And a bowl for in case.
This morning Amena didn’t want to get up. You know how you know your children? Well, when I went to make sure Amena was up, or at least awake, at 5:00, she was still in bed and I just knew that today was going to be one of those days when she’d still be in bed when I went back in at 6:00. Sure enough, she was.
During the night, Seth came to me and said, “I feel a lot better. Can you help me find some pants? I threw up again and got some on my shorts.” Hmmmmm, yeah, he feels better. I think he’s not going to school today in spite of those words out of his mouth. He admitted to me last night that he didn’t want to miss school today because he wants to run the mile in gym. He can run it Thursday but he will have to run it alone or with anyone else who didn’t run it today. Based on the current weather, I’d say there’s a fairly good chance that they won’t be running it today. Based on the predicted forecast, I’d say there’s at least a small chance they won’t be running it Thursday either.
When I got up at 6:00, I noticed that the bowl was in the bathroom so I’m not sure if Seth got up or Cedric used it to soak his shorts in (he wanted me to wash them last night but I’d put a load of towels on that were used to clean up Seth’s vomit because they really stunk and they weren’t done washing when I went up to bed.
Currently Cedric is on his way out to water the goats and I just fed them. Seth and Joseph are sitting at the table. They both have tea. Seth is bundled up in a blanket and Joseph is eating a toasted bagel while still in his pajamas. In spite of not getting up until 6:00, Amena was still ready for the bus when it came which is a very good thing because I didn’t want to play tag.
This was taken on the 24th. I like the one up by her face.
Kitty is a good mama and her babies are growing. I think I’ll have a picture to post from yesterday. She just came in with Cedric in spite of the fact that she has her breakfast and water outside. I guess it’s just a habit she’s gotten into and we all know how fun they are to break. I think Cedric is getting her some fresh water.
This was taken yesterday. They're so cute! And they're old enough their eyes could be opening any time and we all know what that means--we can pick them up!
There will be some pictures but because Cedric took so many videos, it’s taking a few minutes to download. Scooter just made her appearance for the first time this morning. She’s gotten in the habit of sleeping in Paul’s office (which means the carpet there is going to need to be taken out and burnt because she is in desperate need of a bath). I let her out and Cedric is going to fill up her food and water dishes.
Good thing Seth isn’t going to school today.
Yesterday I got all of my reading done which is really good. The only bad thing about it is that I also ate a bag of peanut M&Ms while I was reading. The book is really good and I’d tell you the name of it but it’s currently upstairs and I don’t currently feel like going up to get it. I also watched the most recent episode of Call the Midwife. It was very good. They usually have two story lines going. One was about Jenny and Alex and if you’ve watched it, you’ll know already what happened there and if you haven’t, I’m not going to tell you. The other was about a woman who was pregnant (imagine that, eh?) and Jewish. Her mother hadn’t left the house in 12 years and her husband had been offered a good job in another part of the city that would require them moving. I loved the way a very Jewish woman (who had lived through the horrors of Nazi Germany) and a nun interacted and got along very well. THAT is the way we are supposed to be.
After Meet the Doula Night, the doulas get some continuing education and as I mentioned earlier, it was about breastfeeding yesterday. The lactation consultant at Heywood gave us some very grim numbers about breastfeeding in the United States. According to some dated (from 2005) information, the US was ranked 24th for all those who initiated breastfeeding and 18th for still breastfeeding at 3 months.


Initiated
6 months
12 months
Exclusive 3 months
Exclusive 6 months
US 2014
76.5%
49%
27%
37.7%
16.4%
Me 1986-2008
100 %
100%
87.5%
100%
25%
I guess I was just born to be abnormal.
Anyway, another busy day today with some reading, vehicle tag, and picking up goats.

Have a splendiferous one!

No comments:

Post a Comment