Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Are you kidding me? Seriously?


Another day! What adventures will it hold? It could hold many wondrous ones, only time will tell.
I will not comment on the State of the Union speech last night. I prefer to not mar my day yet. Having said that, you might have a good idea of what I think anyway and so any further words may not be necessary.
This morning I believe the plan is for me to go with Paul to Worcester to get the Jetta. He’ll go to work from that point and I’ll come home. I do not have Economics today but those of our group who can are meeting at school to go over our presentation. At 12:30 there is an Alpha Beta Gamma meeting that I am going to go to. They’re having a Valentine’s pizza party which I am not particularly interested in but I’ve been meaning to go for a while and keep forgetting. I am remembering today.
Yesterday was, as usual, an interesting day. I went to class and our group went to the library to work on our presentation. I took some tea tree and lavender oils to Jonathan who was there after his class while waiting for the bus to take him home. Our presentation made fairly good headway while we were at the library for two hours.
3:01 pm
A bit of a time lapse there. I went to school and did what I was planning and when I came home, there were voices in the boy’s room. I was not expecting to hear voices. I guess it had been too long since I looked at the school calendar and I had forgotten that today was a half day. That was a bit of change.
I brought home The New York Times from today and yesterday. As I was walking in the house, I was taking a look at today’s. The headline is Obama vows push to Lift Economy for Middle Class. How does he propose to do this? Get this—by raising the federal minimum wage. To what? Get this--$9.00. Are you kidding me? Seriously? No flippin’ way, man! What is that going to do? I’ll tell you what—the same thing as this Obamacare bullcrap. It’s going to  make employers so they can’t afford to hire as many people. Those who get to keep their jobs will be making more, sure, but what about all those who will either lose their jobs or won’t be able to get a job? Seriously?

Do you follow this? I just lifted it from the slides for my Economics class. I think all the stuff is right on the slide I need to give credit where credit is due. Just in case, here’s the citation: Hubbard, R. Glenn., and Anthony Patrick. O'Brien. Economics. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2010. Print. And it’s from page 107.
So, do you follow this? The equilibrium wage is at W1. At that wage, equilibrium is at L1 which stands for the number of workers per year. If we have a minimum wage, which we do and which is represented by the black line on the graph, the demand for workers goes down (the blue line) because employers are not able to pay the same amount of employees they formerly had. If you want me to get into the increase of supply of workers, you’ll have to email me. The point simply is that an increase in minimum wage is going to result in a further decrease in the number of employees an employer is able to pay. Some will argue that the benefit to those who remain employed is greater than the loss to those who lose their jobs or are unable to find work. I do not agree.
The only thing I can say is, maybe instead of pretending to worry about the middle class, Obama should take an Economics class.
In other news, the power point that should have taken one person four to five hours to finish, is apparently too much for my group. I do not think we will be able to present tomorrow because I really do not think that it will be done.
That is all. I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. For those of you who got here via a link in an email, I must apologize a second time. My first paragraph is fine. It is in the second one that I was not completely truthful.

    ReplyDelete