Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!


What a beautiful day it is outside! 29° here in Hubbardston, MA, 27° in Bonners Ferry ID, 28° in Yreka, CA, and 48° in Dublin, Ireland. I think I should make that Dublin temperature a random thing. Try 28° in Moscow, Russia.
Well, yesterday was, as usual, an interesting day. The trip to Worcester with Paul to get the Jetta was fairly uneventful. He got me from the repair shop to 146 or whatever the highway was and from there it was a piece of cake but only because I’d been down there so many times last month. The excitement happened once I was about 50 feet from the east entrance to the driveway. I heard a thunk, which isn’t a big deal considering the state of our road, but then a dragging sound. I had no idea what it could be but figured that I was close enough to home to just drive into the driveway as usual (which means the west entrance to the driveway). It was the tail pipe. It was still attached in the front but the wire that was holding it up in back gave out. Laura put it back up last night after we got home from church.
As soon as I got home, I showered and got ready to go to school so my Economics group could go over our presentation. Only Bev and I showed up. She said she’d seen Kyle and he said he wouldn’t be able to stay but we have no idea about the other two. We discovered that my slides do not work quite the way I wanted them to. I have them set up so that more information is added on the click and when I do it on my laptop, or on the computer at school, it works fine. Using the remote clicker at school it did not work fine. I get too much information all at once. I could deal with this but would rather not so Bev is going to sit by the computer and click it for me when I need. I think it will work out alright.
After that, I went to the ABG meeting and it was just a club meeting. I’m not sure what I was expecting but I think I might continue to go just for the heck of it. Two members of my Management class are in it as is one of the women in my English class from last semester. They’re having a bake sale next month for St. Patrick’s Day that might be interesting. Yesterday there was pizza involved. Anyway, it’s kind of a way for me to get out of my box, so to speak, which is a good thing.
As you know from yesterday’s post, there were four children home when I got home. While not expected, it was okay. We got Valentine’s done which meant I had to get a list of kiddos in Joseph’s class because I never saw one (I’m sure he brought one home but I don’t always see everything because he likes to empty his folder and backpack in unusual places and then his papers trickle over to the table and often get waylaid). That wasn’t too difficult because I am friends with his teacher on Facebook and have an email address for Will and Luke’s mom (and a phone number). I figured a two-pronged attack would be good and it was perfect. Luke’s mom emailed me a list.
We had leftovers for supper and then headed out to church early. Partly because I wanted to get there early to get the kitchen cleaned, partly because I was expecting to meet someone to work on family history at 7:00, and partly because I didn’t have time to do anything at home and wanted to be doing. Church was good. Everyone had their usual activities and I helped the Young Women with family history. I didn’t really do much but I do need to find out some information which is good because I need to know it for myself as well as for them.
On our way home we noticed that Joanna was still at work. We got home and I sent everyone to bed. Then I got to work on the presentation that we are to present today in Management. Our group leader was sick and not going to work on it. The girl who was working on it had other things to do including take care of her daughter and other homework. She was stressing out because she hadn’t gotten her baking done and etc. I worked on it. I took what had been done, which was a combination of everyone in the group’s efforts minus one who had only just discovered that the reason he couldn’t do anything on his computer at home was because he only had PowerPoint Viewer. He got everything done that he needed to, and then some, on the computers at the library in a relatively short amount of time spanning two days. He posted it last night and all I had to do was click and drag it from what he had done to the one that was the work in progress. After that, there was just some going over for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and rearranging. The big problem was that once I was about done and ready to save, I had a problem with the program and lost everything that I had done. I needed to redo everything. I was not excited. I was on my way to bed with thoughts of dealing with it this morning when I thought, “Nope, it’s only 11:35, if I don’t do it tonight, it isn’t going to get done in time.” So I sat down and did it. Amazingly, because I’d just done it and was familiar with what I was doing, it went much faster the second time and I was done not more than an hour later. I posted the finished product at 12:46 along with a message and went to bed.
It is good to start the day with a good attitude and be willing to take whatever comes. If you can do that with a smile, so much the better.
Today is another day. What surprises will it hold?

No comments:

Post a Comment