Thursday, November 7, 2013

Busy Day (Inventive Title, I Know)

Good morning! Joanna needs to steal my computer in about 45 minutes so I guess I need to get a move on and get this done since I didn’t get to it yesterday.
Thursday afternoon was busy with homework and getting food ready for supper. We had oven fried chicken which is how I would often cook chicken in pre-Massachusetts days. With that we had chilis cheese and rice. I made that with brown rice, which leads me to a story that I neglected to tell you last time.
I decided to concentrate on drinking enough water every day and eliminated white rice from my diet. Those are easy things I can do and I like brown rice better anyway. So, the other day I decided to cook some brown rice so that I’d have it when I wanted some because it’s good with so many things but takes 45 minutes to cook so it isn’t a quick fix like white rice is. I went to the back room where we had five or six one-pound bags only to discover that the bugs had already discovered them. So, that was a no go. Paul had picked up a mylar bag that had resided in a five gallon bucket full of brown rice so I opened that up. There was enough to fill five gallon jars and I gave the rest to the goats. Some might consider my act somewhat sacrilegious but five gallons of rice is really enough for me for a while. Even if I only cook brown rice, it will last for some time. The moral of this story is to never trust brown rice in plastic bags. Or maybe, never trust the bugs when you have brown rice in plastic bags. I am pretty sure that if the rice had been white, the bugs would have left it alone. That should tell another story.
So, yesterday was a busy one. I went to the hospital for my unit specific orientation. Louise and April were there as well. There are two, Yvonne and Liz, who have yet to take it and everyone else did it Monday. That only equates to four women: Violet, Ericka, Stacey, and Pat. While we were there watching a video about how to prevent infant abduction (which was very dated as it was done in the 80’s or early 90’s but had good information) there was a Code Silver drill. That was quite interesting. All we did is close the blinds, turn the lights off, turn the volume down, and sit on the floor; pretty exciting. The orientation was interesting and we got to meet I think four of the nurses. With all those different personalities and such, it is going to be quite interesting working there. And the real bummer part of it is that I won’t really be able to tell you stories about it due to confidentiality. Which in some ways seems kind of silly because I would never use names. However, I don’t control who reads this so it is also understandable.
The video gave me a story idea which was kind of nice. You can guess about the subject matter.
After orientation, Louise and I went to the dining room which wasn’t open for lunch yet and talked about life and soap and eggs. We’ve decided that trading eggs for soap would be a mutually beneficial activity so she brought some eggs. I had two for lunch and they were so good! Oh my gosh! Love the fresh eggs.
I then had to hurry home in order to have lunch and take Cedric to his last soccer practice. After that we came home and I had a little more than an hour before Joseph needed to be to scouts. We were meeting for that at Maillet’s Martial Arts Academy. I thought they were still out on Williamsville Road but they’d moved into a little shopping center-type place nearer the center of town. So, instead of being five minutes early, we were four minutes late. That was interesting. I’d love for the boys to be able to do something like martial arts but I’m not sure I can currently justify the expense. Joseph had fun, I think.
After scouts, we had to hurry home, well, not really hurry, to get ready to go to church. Jeremy West wanted to meet at 6:30 so we could coordinate combined activities, which is a good idea. Because Joanna had a later shift yesterday, I had to take Joseph. That worked out alright because I also took my computer and he took Pacific Rim.
After church, we hurried home to go to bed. Paul beat us and Joanna’s Jeep was home but Joanna was out with Zack. I read most of the rest of Silent Knife and drank some tea but when I realized it was after 10:00, I went to bed. I’d felt kind of icky the night before and must have had a bit of a fever because during the night I ended up all sweaty. I was feeling kind of icky last night as well, although not as bad, and I ended up all sweaty this morning as well.
Up for today might be transferring goats. Other than that I need to go do a bit of shopping for the Young Women and maybe for myself if I have any good coupons for Joann’s.

Have a great day! (And I’ll get pictures from soccer posted hopefully tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment