Tuesday, October 21, 2014

1069 (William the Conqueror founded the Norman Selby Abbey--I guess he needed to atone for the over 100,000 deaths caused by his actions in the north)

Good morning! It still is morning even though it somehow seems like it should be afternoon. I’m glad it isn’t, because the boys are still both working on their math, but still. . .
Yesterday for soccer practice the boys played a game against the parents. Some parents didn’t play (like me) but a lot did. Seth was bummed because the parents won something like 6 to 1. Still, I think they all had a lot of fun.
It was interesting as well because a hot topic for the parents was the game Saturday and, more particularly the Petersham coach. One mother was saying that her husband didn’t believe her that he was so bad. Last year she went to the games against Petersham, this time, he did. The team this year is comprised of three from last year. The U12 boys had two teams last year and several of the boys were U10 last year. This particular coach the U10 parents wouldn’t have seen in action last year but both U12 teams would have and did. One parent sent an email to whoever is in charge of town leagues. I hope it does some good.
Cedric told me that it was Dominic that the Petersham coach told his players to take out and several players reported that he called them losers when they were at his end of the field and near enough for him to say it without yelling too loudly. Seth says that he was running and he accidentally stepped on the toes of a Petersham player and said, “I’m sorry, are you okay?”
The player said, “Oh, it’s okay.”
But the coach said, “Loser!”
The field was wet, they’re kids (children, actually, if they were kids it would be another game altogether), and they were playing soccer. Toes get stepped on. Seth said he wanted to say to the coach, “We’re just kids and you’re an adult and we’re okay with it.”
Several parents commented on how quiet the Petersham parents are and wonder if maybe they’re cowed by the coach. They don’t yell or cheer or clap nearly as much as any of the parents of other teams the boys have played. Most parents of opposing teams even clap when a goalie makes a good block or an injured player gets up or someone makes a good play. The Hubbardston parents do. But the parents of this Petersham team do not. Sad.
A cool tree at Camp Collier.

Tomorrow will be the last practice and Saturday will be the last game. It is sad because I really do like watching the boys play but it is also nice to have a break from practices as well.
Other than that, the day was pretty uneventful other than the usual things that we do. The silver Jetta did decide to have something go wrong like a broken alternator belt. Paul’s hoping that’s all it is and so am I because that means he gets the white Jetta until the silver one is fixed which means I get the van. From an economic standpoint, it makes sense but I do not like driving the van. At all. The only benefit is that the CD player works. That’s it.
Groovy.
Today has been a ssssssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww day for Joseph. Recess at 10:15 has come and gone and he is still working on his math. Seth is almost done with his handwriting which is all he needs to do other than reading and we’ll do that once they are both done.
I would like them both to hurry and get done but it doesn’t often go the way I would like it to.
This afternoon after lunch we are going to go to Dunn Park and walk around the lake or pond or whatever the body of water is called. It is only about a mile so we’ll do the other trail that is there as well. Sunday or next Tuesday I'd like to take us to Doane’s Falls again and do a hike I was looking at this morning.  There are so many places to go and we need to go to them and do some walking and exploring. I’m not sure how much we’ll do during the winter but until it snows and even some when there isn’t much we can do some exploring. I love winter, anyway, and water does wonderful things when it freezes.
For some reason Paul felt the urge to cut up and stir fry the pork chops I thawed out Sunday. I was thinking about cooking them for dinner because I really only like them cooked one way and that’s the way my mother did them when we were growing up. I don’t like them grilled. I don’t like them fried in a frying pan. If you chop them up it’s another matter but whole, that’s the long and short of it. Anyway, because he was doing that, he didn’t leave for work until almost 10:00 which is later than he usually does.
So, I was going to end with that but it gave me the same word count (843) as a recent post and I just couldn’t have that. Especially since the event I chose for that year is my favorite one. I supposed I could have settled for something else but I didn’t want to. If I come up with 843 again, I’ll use something else. Probably.
A few months ago I had a conversation with someone about whether Massachusetts or Siskiyou County was farther north. I was pretty sure they were about the same and a few days ago, I looked it up. Just FYI for four places I’ve lived in four different states:

McCloud, CA                      41.254°N              122.1364°W        3,271 ft elevation
Hubbardston, MA            42.4736°N            72.0067°W           993 ft
Bonners Ferry, ID             48.6922°N            116.3175°W        1,896 ft
Bloomfield, NM                                36.7108°N            107.9828°W        5,500 ft
Just for fun, I thought I’d look up the average humidity for each place but that’s easier said than done.  What I did find is that McCloud is 190.0 miles away from the nearest city of 200,000 or more (Sacramento) and 536.7 miles to the nearest city of 1,000,000 or larger (Los Angeles). Hubbardston, however, is only 65.1 miles away from Boston which has a population of over 600,000. I imagine if you add all the cities around it, you’d have something quite a bit larger.

And that’s about it for today. Have a fantastical day!

No comments:

Post a Comment