Friday, October 3, 2014

1215 (King John signs the Runnymede Charter aka Magna Carta)

Good morning! No one in labor at the moment, at least not at 5:00 this morning so no one has gone in or I would have gotten a phone call, so here I am. I’m afraid I’m in a bit of a complainy kind of mood because I came downstairs to find four loaves of ‘honey wheat’ bread on the counter. I know that marketing does this to sell perceived healthier foods to unsuspecting customers. Whole wheat is sixth on the list of ingredients. It ‘looks’ good because of the wheat bran that is third on the list. And, honestly, when the first ingredient is composed of about eight things, I’m not sure about the whole order anyway. I’m going to do a cost comparison later and see how much it really costs to make a loaf of bread compared to the stuff from the store. I’m sure the homemade stuff won’t come out on top but when a loaf of bread only costs 50 cents at the store, I really question the quality to begin with.
Yesterday. It was a day. Goldilocks’ kids did well overnight and Seth and Joseph went out at every opportunity to play with them. This is good; I want them to be very used to people.
School went well. We were all done by lunch (except reading which we ended up forgetting to do after) which was nice since the sisters came over for lunch. We had latkes and eggs for lunch with apple crisp and applesauce cake for dessert. After we ate, they went and pulled weeds in the garden with some help from Seth. I cleaned the living room including mopping with some help from Joseph and a little from Seth. I wanted to get it cleaned because it needed to be but also because I wanted to do Pilates before the end of the day.
The sisters had to leave and I finished the living room and did my Pilates. The walking and jogging didn’t kill me but I thought the Pilates might. Once I was done, I figured it was because I haven’t also been doing the daily stretches that I ought to have been so I’m going to have to add that to my daily regimen. Stretches every day, walking/jogging every other day, walking/hiking with the boys once a week, Pilates the days I don’t do anything else, and Sunday off.
Joanna came over and went out to see the kids. I told her and Seth and Joseph to kind of take it easy because I suspected Snowflake would be having hers soon. She’d managed to squeeze herself into the goat shed for the first time in days and I thought that was a sign she wanted to be in a protected area. She’d also been pawing at the hay on the floor every time I was out to check on Goldilocks and her kids and that is something they do but not usually continually. She was actually probably in labor and that’s probably a coping mechanism for goats. Maybe people should try it.
Joanna left about the time Cedric got home and I finished up Pilates about then as well. It wasn’t long after that Seth and Joseph came running in to tell me that Snowflake had her babies. I asked how many and Seth said, “Two!” So I went out and by the time I got there, number three had been born. Three kids! Wow!
I helped clean off the last one and put it right in front of her so she’d finish. That one is the runt and I told the boys that we had to deal with the fact that runts sometimes don’t make it. After all, when she had Fred and George, there was another one but she didn’t make it. She was the runt. So what did they do? Run to the trampoline and say a prayer for the little runt! I haven’t been out this morning yet to see how they are doing but as of the last time I was out to check on them yesterday, they were all three doing well. In fact the bigger black one (there are two blacks, one being the runt, and one brown) was already outside less than two hours after being born.
It’s incredible to think that our goat herd just doubled in size. And even better to think that at least two of the kids are girls. I really hope that one or two of Snowflake’s kids is/are as well. I’d really like another black goat. If we have up to three girls, we will likely keep them all. Four I’m not sure about. Any boys we will not keep unless one of them is for meat or a pack animal. A pack animal would be cool. Wouldn’t it be fun to take a goat on hikes with the scouts to carry all our stuff? Anyway, I’d like to keep one of the boys we got from Libby because she had good form and the buck was registered for breeding purposes. The doelings we just had have good mothers (assuming Snowflake had at least one girl) but I’m not sure of the bucks. They were nice but nice does not equate good genes.
Snowflake doing what mama goats do. Seth and Joseph were somewhat disgusted by the fact that she was eating the afterbirth and had to leave a couple of times. They thought it was strange because she's not a carnivore. I told them that animals, even when they don't eat meat, do eat the afterbirth.

Amena got home late yesterday because she went to a cross country meet that the triplets were running in. It was scheduled for Wednesday but was postponed until yesterday due to the rain. It turned out to be quiet a nice afternoon for it.
We had chocolate pancakes for dinner (made with whole wheat four) and Seth wanted to know if he could have some applesauce cake. Well, what do you think? Pancakes, even with sausage, and then cake? How about, no.
This is the bigger black baby.

Cedric is getting ready for school. He has to have a shower almost every day. I don’t know if he sweats more than Daniel did or if he’s just more concerned with his appearance, or what, but Daniel would shower twice a week compared to Cedric’s almost every day. It’s funny how similar Cedric is to Daniel in so many ways but how different they are, too. I sure do miss him. Amena is, of course, by now either at school or almost. Seth is on the couch and Paul and Joseph are both still in bed.
Snowflake and the three kids!

I was tired at 8:30 last night and I knew I might potentially have to get up at 5:00 to get ready, so I emailed Paul a message filled with all the stuff that I really wanted to tell him when he got home. He gets home at such irregular hours I never know when to expect him. Then I took a shower because I hadn’t had one all day and so I wouldn’t have to take one in the morning if I needed to go in to the hospital. Then I went to bed. Paul did call while I was in the shower but my phone isn’t waterproof and I didn’t hear it.
Not much else to tell about at the moment. I did have some strange dreams but don’t really remember much so there isn’t much to tell. They were very strange. And repetitive. But not much to tell about.

Have a fantabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment