Monday, October 20, 2014

1513 (Juan Ponce de Leon becomes the first known European to sight and visit Florida)

Good afternoon! Busy couple of days and not sure I’ll get this posted today but at least I’ll get some content going.
Friday ended much as it had begun—interestingly. That’s . . . interesting, don’t you think? Interestingly so.
Cedric during the game (and Paul as goalie and I think Dominic as well as Jacob Halfrey behind Cedric).
School went pretty well. Joanna came over in the morning with Zak to do some laundry and for a short visit including filling out the medical forms for camp. I filled mine out as well and printed a copy of Seth’s from scout camp this summer. That was pretty exciting.  I needed to get a couple of loads of laundry done as well so that Cedric and Seth would have everything done that they needed for camp and for their soccer game Saturday. When Cedric got home from school, he and Seth got their stuff ready. Seth was only staying one night so his packing was very fast and easy.
Seth as well as Riley, Paul, John, Joe, a referee and a Petersham player.
Joanna came back around 5:30 and she took the boys over to the Carrignan’s where everyone was supposed to meet at 6:00. From there they were going to leave and arrive at Camp Collier at 7:00. Before they left, I fed them some tortellini soup.
I went out to milk about 6:00. Joseph let one of the mama’s loose and I milked her and then he let the other one loose and I milked her and then he let the rest loose and they actually all came and got put away without any incidents. It was really quite amazing. Snowflake and Goldilocks are usually good because they want their grain and then they want their babies but the other three aren’t always so good, especially when it is still light outside.
Cedric lighting the briquettes.
Then Paul, Amena, Joseph, and I left to go to Julia’s. Her brother was up visiting and she’d invited some friends (me and my family, Amy Troop and her family, and another friend whose name I don’t remember but she is Olivia’s mom) over for a dinner party. There was lobster, shrimp, steak tips, salad, and three different Norwegian desserts. All very good in spite of the fact that a) I ate too much, and b) I spilled butter all over myself.
When we got home it was bedtime and in the morning it was time for me to go relieve Joanna from camp.
Seth being a scarecrow.
When I got there, breakfast was in full swing. I’d eaten so much the night before that I had a glass of milk before I left and really wasn’t hungry. Once that was all done and cleaned up, it was time to go down for the flag ceremony and whatever else they call all the announcements and such. I really wanted to be there for the pumpkin launching but at about 9:40 I overheard one of the guys in charge say that they wouldn’t be starting for another fifteen or twenty minutes. That being the case, we just left because we needed to stop by the house to get the rest of what Seth needed for the game which included his shoes and shorts.
We stopped at home quick and then took off to Petersham. We were five minutes late but at least we were there. On the way, it started to rain and really poured for a few minutes. We all agreed that someone would be sorry if the game was cancelled due to rain since we were missing out on the pumpkin launching to be at the game. When we got there, it was overcast but not raining so it was all good. It actually got rather warm while we were there and then got cooler and it was overcast and then it cleared up a bit and then was overcast again. It was that kind of weather that people say, “If you don’t like the weather, wait five seconds; it’ll change!” and think that it is unique to their area but it really isn’t. (The most drastic weather changes I’ve ever personally witnessed were in New Mexico.)
The game was incredible. In more ways than one. The boys played well. Petersham got one goal just as we arrived. I had to use the porta potty and I heard the commotion that indicated a goal but wasn’t sure whose it was. Then they got another one. Then Hubbardston got two. Then it was half a game. Then Petersham scored and then Andy got a penalty kick and scored. Then Hubbardston got two more and it was a game. The final score was, as you can see, Hubbardston 5, Petersham 3. Good game.
The Petersham coach, on the other hand, is something else. Holy freaking cow. He yells at his players continuously. At one point, I heard the assistant coach, a woman, say, “Well, if they’re going to play dirty...” I have no idea how that fit into whatever conversation she was having, but Hubbardston wasn’t playing any differently than they usually do and if that’s dirty, it’s only because they’ve been in the dirt which isn’t likely because most of the fields are pretty covered with grass.
However, the Petersham coach was something else. During the second half, he instructed one of his players to “take out” one of the Hubbardston players. For one thing, these kids (or children) are mostly ten and eleven years old. They also are playing to have fun and learn; not to win big trophies or anything. After his instruction, Hubbardston’s coach, Jay Guertin said, “That’s not right.” And the Petersham coach said something about the Hubbardston players stepping on his player’s feet. And I didn’t hear anything else but we could all see that we came pretty close to having a fight between the coaches. Paul Jeppson’s dad went over because he didn’t want Jay to “beat the crap out of” the Petersham coach. I don’t doubt that he could and I think he’d deserve it but I’m glad it didn’t happen because it would not have been a good thing in spite of deserving it. After this, the Petersham coach yelled at our goalie that he couldn’t do something and after that, it seemed like he was almost afraid to do anything. I don’t think coaches like that should be allowed to continue to coach. It’s just not right.
I am incredibly glad that our boys won.
After the game we went right back to Camp Collier and got there in time for lunch which was sandwiches with white bread. I was hungry by then but one sandwich was enough. I really don’t like white bread.
After lunch the boys built scarecrows, had a first aid station, and had to tie a pumpkin in a rope and lift it up successfully without it falling. It started to rain about then and kept it up for an hour or so. Then it was back to camp and time to start dinner things. I thought there would be a couple of goats for me to milk because I’d told Amena not to let them in until I got home because I’d be home by 6:30 to milk. So, Seth and I left about quarter to six so we’d have time to walk to the car (.62 miles) and actually leave by 6:00. That meant that we left about half an hour before dinner was ready so we didn’t get to eat it.
When we got home, the goats were in because it had been raining and the kids crying. That’s normal. The kids like to make noise. It’s part of what they do. I was a bit irritated and had I known they’d been let in, Seth and I would have stayed long enough to eat at camp rather than coming home and eating leftover lasagna and tortellini soup.
Seth and Joseph took showers and voluntarily went to bed. At 8:10 I went up to listen to their prayers and they were both quite happy to be going to bed.
This morning I went to get Cedric because I let him stay at Camp Collier. I left at about 7:45 so I’d be there a little before 8:30 which is when I wanted to leave by so that we’d have time to get everything done and not be late to church. They were in the middle of breakfast when I got there and Cedric wanted to eat and I decided to just go with the flow and be late if we were meant to be late. He didn’t finish eating and we left and got home and got ready and Paul didn’t take everyone who was ready but waited so we all got there when the opening hymn was being sun. Which really wasn’t bad considering that I thought we’d be much later.
And that’s that. I’ve got to get ready for milking and such and might not get this posted until tomorrow because we’ve got a fireside at church and I have some pictures to get off my phone from yesterday and there probably won’t be time for everything before we have to leave at 6:whatever-time-we-actually-leave-at.

Have a fantastical day!

No comments:

Post a Comment