Friday, July 11, 2014

A Few of Those Days

Good morning! One might assume, incorrectly, that because I haven’t written anything as of late that we haven’t been doing anything of which to write. The fact is, we’ve been busy with this and that in the morning and have either been busy in the afternoon or it’s been a combination of too hot and/or humid for me to feel like doing anything.
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings we stacked wood. Tuesday and Wednesday we stacked wood for 30 minutes. ‘We’ being Amena, Cedric, Seth, Joseph, and myself. Yesterday I knew that we had a bit more than 30 minutes of stacking to finish so I told the boys (Amena was already gone to Youth Conference) that if we got all the wood stacked, we could go to the store and they could each get their own container of ice-cream. In spite of the fact that they were pretty excited by that idea, it still took upwards of two hours to finish. Done the stacking is, for now at least; when Paul splits more we’ll have more to do.
Wednesday was a busy day. In the morning, I took Joseph with me to the scout office so that I could get him and Seth registered for camp. The woman who usually does that stuff wasn’t in until 9:30 and I didn’t have time to wait so we had to muddle through as best as they could. Then we were off to Winchendon to Joseph’s 10:00 dentist appointment. We were also delivering four bars of soap to Cheri Brimhall; they left on vacation yesterday afternoon and she wanted some soap to give to four families who had babies recently. Since they live in Winchendon, I thought we could just deliver the soap.
Then we were on our way home so that Cedric and I could go to his class picnic. Well, I checked his calendar and discovered that the picnic is next week, not this week, so we didn’t have to rush off to that. I was kind of relieved. Still, I needed to go back to Gardner to take care of a few things that I thought I hadn’t had time to do because of the picnic so I did that. While I was still on Pitcherville Road I got a phone call.
“Is this Mrs. Davis?”
“Well, sort of.”
“May I speak to your mother?”
“This is Pam Flint,” I figured it was probably the woman from the scout office, “Seth and Joseph Davis’s mother.”
I needed to give her some information so that she could actually get the registration done. Because the boys each had a campership deduction, I could not register them online which is why we had to go make payment at the office in Lunenburg. They are both successfully registered now.
Then I continued on to Gardner where I stopped at the bank first and then parked in the library parking lot where I walked first to D’Ambrosio where I ordered some glasses and then John’s Sport Shop where I got a new scout shirt for Cedric. I was going to check a book out from the library but I decided to request the book I wanted to get be sent to Hubbardston which would give me time to finish reading the book I currently have checked out. Not to mention I have another besides that to finish.
When I got home, I renewed the books that we all have checked out and requested Hunger Games. Amena was busy getting ready for Youth Conference. Those from our ward needed to be at the church by 2:15 Thursday morning in order to get to Ludlow in time to get loaded on the buses to leave there by 4:30. Fun, fun, fun.
I’d been planning on taking the boys to the park for the Wednedays in the Park but they decided that they’d rather stay home and play with Legos. I was completely fine with that because although it wasn’t bad out Wednesday, I had sunburn on my arms and Joseph had sunburn on his back and shoulders from Tuesday at Lake Dennison. And although it was nice and cloudy at times, it was also sunny at times.
So, I went to the library to deliver the check for Cedric to get registered for camp and return a book. Then I was back home doing whatever I was doing. Instead of hurrying when we got back from the park to get to church, we got to take our time which was nice. Amena decided to go even though she probably should have stayed home to finish getting ready.
There weren’t many girls there, just Amena, Jessica, Christina, and Sarah Trivett. Jerusha brought her ice shaver and we had snow cones and popcorn and played a game most of us never had called Fluxx. It was quite fun and the time sped by rather quickly. Amena needed a large garbage back to put her stuff in but with how everyone was behaving, I didn’t want to stop at a store. I thought that I could go once we got home and the boys went to bed but Joanna agreed to stop on her way home and get some.
It poured after we got home and we had quite a lightning display. Since Joanna was going to be home, I asked if she’d be willing to take Amena to church in the morning. She was. I thought that was great, I’d be able to sleep. Ha ha. I woke up a couple of times before 1:30 and then got up at about 1:45. That’s when I’d told Amena we needed to leave by and of course she wasn’t quite ready. Joanna was getting her some food together for her breakfast and lunch. Her shoes were still in the drier. She was stuffing her stuff into a garbage bag and then into another one. Oh boy. They finally got off at 2:00 and I went back to bed. I didn’t get back to sleep until after I heard Joanna get home.
Yesterday morning was mostly filled with stacking wood. When we were about done, I went in to shower while Seth and Joseph finished. Then I made them at least change shirts before we could go to the store. When we got back, we watched The Fellowship of the Ring and ate ice cream. That was nice. Of course, no one could finish their ice cream in one sitting so everyone put their own away but by the end of the movie, everyone else had gotten theirs out again.
After the movie, I washed dishes and did laundry. I had the boys take stuff to the basement and they helped put dishes away. Other than that, they played with Legos and played outside. Other than my nose going crazy, the day was a pretty good one.
For dinner the boys thought they didn’t want to eat and I wasn’t sure they would since they’d been eating ice-cream all afternoon. Still, I sautéed up some spinach with garlic for myself. The boys all ended up having some. I had to make some for Seth and Joseph and then they wanted more. Then I just did up the rest and Cedric had a bunch and it ended up gone. They also had some quesadillas. I think maybe they wanted something other than ice-cream to eat.
Yesterday before Paul went to work, he took out the old air conditioner and put the new one in. He put the old one on the bed and when he was telling me about it, he said he ruined his bed. I was thinking, “Oh, great,” but all he really did was rip a sheet. That’s good because sheets are one thing; a bed is another.
Today we have no wood to stack but I have some graham crackers and some limes and I’m thinking that a lime pie would be nice. Right now Paul is frying some bacon and the yuck from it is infiltrating the house and making my nose go crazy again. My eyes too, actually. It is not fun. I’m not sure if having the fan on makes it better or worse but at least it’s on its way out the window.
Today I’m going to bribe the boys with a movie (at the theater) to get the Legos picked up and their bedroom cleaned up. I’m pretty sure I don’t want to watch the movie that we’ll end up watching, if everything gets done, but that’s okay. I didn’t really want to go watch the movie that I did with Amena and her friends and it ended up being okay. I want to see How to Train Your Dragon 2, I’m pretty sure we’ll end up watching the new Transformers. I’ll let you know tomorrow how that goes.
This morning Paul brought down from the bedroom three cookbooks: 66° N: Land of Fire and Ice Cookbook which is Icelandic cooking; 365 Great Barbecue & Grilling Recipes which I might check out and use a few in the remaining weeks of summer; and 365 Ways to Cook Chicken which we’ll see about. I like chicken but I also like the ways I already do chicken. We already have so many cookbooks that I will never personally use them all. I personally think that Paul likes to peruse them and dream about eating the foods he reads about as much as he actually likes eating. One I don’t care to try is 257 Chicken Cacciatora. I’ve made something similar and I’m not impressed. It’s kind of like goulash; it reminds me of a pot of everything leftover from the refrigerator. Yuck.
And now I’m going to be off. I have some cutting out to do today and the boys have some picking up to do today.

Have a fantabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment