Tuesday, July 1, 2014

What I think about the recent Supreme Court decsion

Good morning! I’m not sure if I was planning on writing this morning or not but I decided to.
Yesterday was a pretty low key day. Most days that are over about 80 degrees are pretty low key around here and yesterday was 88°. I really don’t function well in the heat.
In the morning I planted the acorn squash and watered the garden and pots of flowers and other plants that are yet in pots. I think I know where I’d like to put the blueberries but I’m not sure if it will work. Actually, after just taking a look at a couple of webpages dealing with blueberries, it would work. I just need to get all the weeds and stuff out. I’m not in favor of planting them down by the creek because they would be down by the creek. There would be some advantages but there would be many disadvantages as well and I’m going to go with them. There would be some disadvantages to where I’d like to put them but I’m not going to dwell on them. Selective? Yes, but that’s okay.
You have probably heard about the Supreme Court decision regarding birth control for privately owned corporations. I think it’s great. I am somewhat annoyed that Hobby Lobby will still cover vasectomies and Viaga though while not covering contraceptives (which is somewhat contradictory if they’ll cover a vasectomy). I say, “Go Supreme Court (at least those justices voting to pass this decision)!” However, let’s not stop at some contraceptives, let’s not cover ANY. Would you like to know why? I’ll tell you.
Because if I want to avoid pregnancy, it is up to me to do so. There are many routes I might take in order to avoid pregnancy including the use of the pill, condoms, contraceptive foam or sponges, etc., etc., etc. I could even have an abortion (which I would never do). Or, get this, I could even not have sex. Imagine that! Whatever I choose, it is up to me. Me. It should probably be a decision made jointly between me and my spouse, but ultimately, it is my choice. It is up to me. It is my responsibility. It is not the responsibility of taxpayers. Taxpayers should not be penalized because a bunch of blooming idiots can’t take responsibility for their own actions.
Just this morning I’ve read a couple of interesting things about this. One says that “my religion is better than yours.”  Well, that’s a crock. Sorry. Honestly, I’m sorry that religion had anything to do with this decision because it kind of muddies the pond. If your religion says that you need to use contraceptives, then you should bloody well pay for it yourself. Or make your religion pay for it.
Another is that “my boss’s religion is more important than your rights.” Well, that’s another crock. No matter what religion my boss has, I still have the right to provide myself with contraceptives. If I can’t afford contraceptives, then I shouldn’t be having sex. And you shouldn’t either.
Today a couple of guys should be coming over to get a couple of goats. Paul finally left for work after being on the phone for 15 minutes with a customer (which is actually a short phone call—these people can take for hours without coming to any coherent decision). I am going to work on the back room and library today. Amena is going to spend the night at a friend’s house. The boys are going to do boy things (drawing, shooting, playing games).

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment