Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Falling Apart


I do not know how long this will be. Neither am I going to have any hot chocolate.

I do not think that any of the stories I tell here betray confidence. I do not remember names and I do not tell birthdates (I do not remember them generally anyway either). I do think it is interesting how different people are who are born in the same year. I have seen a couple of people who are 90 and still living on their own. One came in today. Her son was with her and she was a bit slow, but she was doing well. Perhaps the reason I think this is interesting is because there are people 10, 20 and even 30 years younger who look to be in worse shape.

Today a girl came in who was born the same year as Daniel. She was afraid of the needle and began to cry when she was stuck. I had to leave the drawing area. I walked around for a minute but there isn’t that much room and you can’t go that far so I had to go in a restroom. I hope her parents realize what a blessing she is.

Also today a little girl had her blood drawn. Her mom was so good with her. This little girl did not cry. Yesterday there were several children who came in and they all cried to some degree (one was quite violent and her mother did little to restrain her so that it took three phlebotomists to accomplish the draw). I mentioned to Dawn that it seems to me that the parents have some influence on their children and how their children react. She said they have a great deal to do with how their children react.

The highlight of the day might have been when one young man came in and neither Bridgett nor I were given the option of attempting to draw him. This, we were told, would happen when the person was known to have an infectious disease or in other cases when they knew the patient wouldn’t want an intern to do it. Usually, the phlebotomist will introduce self and then say, “This is Pam, she is my/our intern. Would it be okay if she draws your blood today?” Thus far, most people are okay with it. Some are not. Today I palpated and didn’t feel confident to make an attempt twice. Once I wasn’t sure but did anyway and missed the vein (which, I am told, was not entirely my fault as the guy was very tall and was leaning over in a manner which made it difficult to draw him). Anyway, neither of us was given the option for this guy. I’m not sure why but he was supposed to have a timed test which included blood cultures. Maybe that is why. Anyway, the first phlebotomist took a look at one arm and found a likely site and was using a butterfly. The guy (patient, not phlebotomist) took the needle and started moving it around searching for a vein. I COULD NOT believe it! Seriously?!? That arm didn’t work and the other was tried. That arm didn’t work so another phlebotomist gave a go on the first arm. It worked. Then, the guy left. He was supposed to have more drawn fifteen minutes after the first and that time was up at 5:00 at which time I was gone so I do not know if he came back for the second draw but none of the phlebotomists on duty was of the opinion they’d be seeing him again today.

Not a bad day. It was more constant than yesterday which was nice. I had 13 successful veinipunctures and three successful finger sticks and got to watch one EKG.

Supper was a crazy affair but everyone is abed now other than Paul who took Jonathan and Elizabeth and Elders Nash and Sanchez back to Fitchburg. The washing machine just finished so I need to put the clothes in the dryer and then head on up to bed. I think I will take another heavy duty pain pill first.

I do not like being gone all day. I feel rather out of touch with the rest of my family. I leave before Paul does. I leave before the kids even get on the bus. I get home when it’s time to eat supper. That leaves from then until bedtime which is 8:00 for interactions with children. No wonder society is falling apart.

Anyway, I am off.

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. When I went to work I was gone from 6:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. All I got to see you kids was from dinner to bedtime and most of that was spend fixing dinner and doing laundry. I am sure you are learning from this experience and fortunately, it is only temporary in this case. Hope you back gets to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder: how can one truly be a parent if the only interaction they have with their children is two hours a day and weekends?
      My back is feeling better but doesn't like driving the van.

      Delete