Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Islands and Idiots, Dollars and Doulas

Good morning! It’s cold outside this morning and it’s grey and it’s not a particularly pretty day. I spent some time looking at pictures and watching video that I took in Idaho and it was particularly pretty and I think I’m homesick for an ideal world in which there is real winter and less humid summers and everyone I love is there. I also looked at some that were taken not long after we arrived in Massachusetts and although Daniel is there, Joanna isn’t. And Daniel’s birthday is a week from today and I really miss him.
And I wasn’t going to write anything today because I didn’t do much yesterday other than knit (the shawl will be done today!) and watch NCIS during the day and in the evening I went to the Meet the Doula night which was really nice. Seth and Joseph got their homework done. Amena fell asleep almost as soon as she got home because she stayed up all night doing the homework she’d neglected to do during the previous nine days of no school.
This morning I got lunches ready for Amena and the boys and ate a yogurt for breakfast. Included in lunches for today were yogurts. I decided that I wanted more than a cold yogurt (which was blueberry and very tasty) because it’s cold. So, after eating the yogurt and looking at pictures and watching videos, I decided I wanted some hot chocolate and a grilled cheese sandwich. While I was making those things happen, I was thinking.
Paul bought a whole bunch of yogurts yesterday. They are the individual size and the children love them but they say ‘light.’ That means, in this case, that they are sweetened with sucralose. I asked Paul this morning if he realized they were ‘light’ and he did not. He apologized and I’m quite sure he will never buy those particular yougurts again. This brought to mind something about shopping. Some people only see dollar signs. This bread is $1.00 a loaf, that bread is $4.00 a loaf. Because this bread is only $1.00, it must be better because it doesn’t cost as much. Not so, I’m afraid. Paul shops by price, which is usually a good thing. When it comes to some things, however, it isn’t so good. I don’t care if this bread only costs $1.00 (by the way, I prefer homemade bread and very rarely actually eat bread from the store), it is full of white flour, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial this and that. The $4.00 bread is whole grain (which can be tricky), is sweetened with honey (a whole other conversation), and has nothing artificial in it. When I make bread, I usually make one of two kinds. One has flour (whole wheat that I know really is whole wheat), honey, salt, yeast, water, egg, milk, and oil. The other has flour (I have to admit using some white flour in this one), yeast, water, salt, and beer. There is more to it than just the price.
And that brings to mind cheese and lunchmeat. Paul likes to buy the ends from the deli at Market Basket. The price can’t be beat and sometimes you get some really good stuff. However, I don’t care if this cheese is normal $7.00 a pound (the most he pays for ends is about $1.00 a pound), it’s American which to me isn’t even cheese. When there is Swiss, I’m happy. And the lunchmeat. It’s all over processed and I wouldn’t even pay the $1.00 for it. I don’t care if this bologna is normally $9.00 a pound. It’s nasty and no one in their right mind would eat it. Yuck!
Paul loves to shop the discount racks. Sometimes you find some really good deals there (shin guards for $4.00 once—what a steal!) He even buys Kitty food. Recently he brought home two boxes of individual serving size cans that had been marked down. One box said that two cans were missing and the other said there were 11 of the 12 it should have. Well, you really have to look closely. Even though these boxes were taped up, the first one actually had four cans missing and the other box, which I just opened today, had three missing.
You have to be careful that you really are getting a good deal.
Another thing that I was thinking about was islands for idiots. Someone posted on Facebook a day or two ago that she’d like to have an island for idiots (not her terminology but you get the picture). I had to laugh because the idiots she’d like to send there are ones I would get along with pretty well. My idiot island would probably include a lot of people like her. As my thoughts continued along this path, I thought that there should probably be three islands: one for Democrats who the Republicans know are crazy, one for Republicans who the Democrats think are nuts, and one for the rest of us who don’t fit in either category.
Have you ever noticed how people always have stories to tell about where they work? Some of them are really funny. Joanna said that yesterday she made some hot chocolate for a woman. After the woman tried it, she asked if she could get a Sprite instead because the hot chocolate was “too chocolaty.” How the heck can hot chocolate be too chocolaty? And older man came in, Joanna guessed in his 60’s, who ordered chicken strips. Joanna asked if he’d like something to dip the chicken in. He asked what was available. Joanna said, “Honey mustard, barbeque, and ranch.”
“What,” he asked, “exactly is ranch?”
How do you describe ranch to someone who has never had it? It’s kind of like attempting to describe salt. I suggested saying, “Well, someone went to a ranch. . .”
At Meet the Doula night last night there were three doulas, three pregnant mama’s, two partners (one had to leave her husband home watching her two boys), Karen, and Paulette when she could be. There was one doula on and about five hundred women popping babies out. Busy place last night. Anyway, Karen and Paulette are really wonderful and have a lot of really awesome birth stories to tell. I love listening to them. Once the pregnant people were gone, we learned about hemorrhages. Mostly how to identify risk factors in order to help prevent and then to know what happens in the actual event of a hemorrhage. It was quite interesting and in spite of the fact that I’ve done a lot of reading and have attended classes regarding hemorrhages, I learned some things. Two that I thought were particularly noteworthy are that in the case of a VBAC, the force of vomiting can cause uterine rupture and when a woman has had an epidural, she isn’t going to feel anything that would clue medical personnel to the fact that she’s had a rupture but she often will feel pain or discomfort in her neck, shoulder, and jaw.
 Well, that’s all for today. I need to get on to other things. Like folding clothes and finishing a shawl.

Have a terrifical day!

No comments:

Post a Comment