Monday, February 10, 2014

Real Life and School (yes, two posts in one day--don't die)

So, this time I’m starting today even though it probably won’t get posted until tomorrow. Unless I decide to do two today. We’ll see how it goes.
I posted earlier today on Facebook this: “I think that we do not live in the real world. We live in an artificial construct and most people have no idea what 'real' is.” I believe this.
In the real world, people grow/raise/hunt/gather their food. They give birth when the baby is ready to be born. They build what and when they need, they make what they need when they need. In the real world, life is governed by four things: food, shelter, clothing, and faith. We do not live in a real world. We live in a world that is governed by money and schedules.
Our children are each only physically born once. That birth tends to be dictated by money and schedules. How can doctors, hospitals, and insurance companies get more money out of this woman who is pregnant? How can this birth happen in time for the doctor to go on vacation or end his/her shift? That birth tends, in the United States, to happen in a hospital. That birth tends to be medicated and has a 1 in 3 chance of being surgical. That birth probably will not happen in the real world.
In the real world, that birth would happen when it is supposed to happen. When the mother and the baby are both ready, physically if not emotionally, the birth occurs. That birth should happen in the most ideal way possible. And by ideal, I do not mean by elective cesarean or even necessarily in a hospital but certainly not on a time-table or as dictated by money and a schedule. Ideally, I think there should be hospitals with trained people inside who can save the mother and/or baby if that becomes necessary.
In the real world, our lives would be dictated by the seasons rather than a work schedule. I hate Paul’s schedule. He is almost never home for dinner. He has to plan in advance for anything. I hate school schedules (and we’ll get to more about school later). Why does a child in the United States have to learn to read by the time that child is done with kindergarten? Why? Give me one good reason. Just one. And it had better be a darn good one. Backed up by provable fact, not the fiction that is free for all out there.
In the real world, we would be getting ready to begin a garden soon rather than planning what vegetables to buy at the store tonight. In the real world, we would be getting ready to have baby goats rather than buying milk from the store today (actually, we are getting ready to have baby goats). In the real world, life would look a lot different than it does right now.
I think I was spoiled by having midwives when it was time to have my babies. I saw the same midwife and assistant during pregnancy, the same midwife and assistant were at the birth. The same midwife and assistant were present for the entire labor and birth, there were no shift changes. I think I got a taste for the real world and I think this artificial construct we live in leaves a really foul taste in my mouth.
I am sorry if that seemed rather disjointed. I think that the artificial construct that we live in and think is real is rather disjointed. So many of us have these jobs that require us to be gone for large portions of the day and then we go home to a family. This family needs more of our time and energy. Some of us are very good at maintaining a schedule. Some of us are not. Some of us don’t mind having our time used up by the mundane things in life (I’m thinking laundry, dishes, cleaning house, etc.) while others of us would love to have more time to do things that we really enjoy (you know, like knitting, spinning, sewing, playing racquetball [that’s Paul], skiing, etc.).
When did we start having to be gone for large chunks of time during the day? When we, as a civilization, began gravitating from a largely agricultural way of life to a more industrialized way of life. When did we start having to send our children away for large chunks of time to school? Public education as we know it is thought to have begun in the 1800’s. When did we start thinking that we have to have something for our children to do constantly? That’s a good question. Is it when we started moving away from the land and into the city? Is it when we thought both parents had to be gone all day working a job? When? And why?
School. It was good enough for me, it’s good enough for my kids.
Well, for one thing, I don’t send my kids to school. They live in the goat shed and yard and in the back field. Their mothers give me milk. We’d like to teach one to be a pack goat this year.
For another thing, when did you go to school? In the 60’s? The 70’s? The 80’s? Is life the same now as it was then? Are they teaching the same things now that they did then? I believe the answers to these questions are a resounding NO and NO. I am a product of the 70’s and 80’s. I think teachers were allowed to teach then. At least more than they are now. Now they have to teach this common core crap. Want to keep students in the US from achieving on standardized tests when compared to students from other countries? Keep shoving this dross down their throats.
Stop filling up their heads with a lot of rubbish that they likely won’t need when they’ve become adults. Stop forcing my square child into a round hole. Honestly, even thinking about this makes me want to use language that I don’t use.

And then there is the subject of dishwashers. Don’t get me going on that one, either. I just can’t handle the stress of it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment