Monday, July 30, 2012

Beginnings and Endings

In another five hours, we left on our life-changing trip last year. If I knew then what I know now, would I still go? That is hard to say. I can’t even say that ultimately, there really isn’t any way I could have known then what I know now because I believe that I could have if it were important to; however, it wasn’t so the decisions made would have been the same. It is my belief that if knowledge of future events is important or somehow necessary, we can be made aware of them. In this case, it would have been a huge burden. In fact, shortly after the accident, I was talking to Diane Vaniman on the phone. Having lost a child to death, she knew what it was like. She asked me a vitally important question: “Did anything happen in the previous days, weeks, even months that let you know something was going to happen?” The answer is an unequivocal YES. In talking to Grandma, I think the same might be true of Papa’s passing although they were different due to the circumstances. I won’t specifically ask at the moment, but if anyone else is willing to look at the death they experienced, it would be interesting.

Yesterday was a good Sunday. We had Laura-made chili and cornbread which was good. She had gotten some chipotle powder in Boston when she was there Friday and was dying to try it out. It is very good. Adam and Nick were both here which was nice. I really like having Nick here (Adam too, but for different reasons) because he knew Daniel. It is crazy the influence we have on others and don’t even know it.

Nick told us that he had gone to the Youth Conference that Daniel did last year. It was Daniel’s one and only year to go because it is only for youth 14 to 18 years old and leaders. Nick said his first day he had an attitude because he felt like he’d been tricked into going by his friend, Jared (a friend of Daniel’s also), but after he realized Daniel was there and met Hyrum (another one of the boys near Daniel’s age), it was all good. For this Youth Conference, they were cleaning up in and around Springfield, MA, where the tornado had gone through. For sleeping arrangements, people volunteer their houses for however many they can fit (and can be specific about if they want girls or boys—no mixed groups) and a group of that many kids and leaders stay. Daniel and Nick were in the same group and Michael Yang was one of the leaders. They were reading scriptures one night and Daniel said, in his deadpan way, “This is how you do it: Third. Nephi. Chapter 3. Verse 3. And it seemeth a pity unto me. . .” So, Nick thought that that is how you were supposed to do it. Mike asked Nick to read verses 6 through 9 so Nick said, “Third. Nephi. Chapter 3. Verse 6. Verse 7. Verse 8. Verse 9. . .” Mike said, “You don’t have to do it that way; Daniel was joking!”
I don't know who all the people are. In fact, I'm only sure about one and that is Daniel. Here we have a lovely view of the back of his head. He's wearing the black t-shirt and blue lei. The boy next to him with the white shirt and lei is one of the Valdez twins, Carols or Luis, but I'm not sure which one. Daniel really liked both of them. I really like their whole family.

Here you actually get to see his face! And I love the expression on the face of Carols or Luis. In this picture, I also recognize Mike Arbon in the white shirt and tie (he is our former Stake President; he and his family just moved from Princeton to South Carolina because of his work) and Fred Cox also in a white shirt with a multi-colored lei (he is our current Stake President and lives in Oxford). 


This is one of the reasons I like Nick coming over.

A while ago, Paul bought some little silicone molds. We’ve got some large ones for cakes, these are so small I don’t think I’d want to use them for baking but they are perfect for freezing juice. Three are dinosaur bones and one is vampire teeth. I froze some apple juice in them and everyone 27 and under had some last night. It wasn’t exactly dessert but it was fun—especially for the boys. Before that they got to watch Quest for Camelot which is a cute movie that most of the children like, even (or maybe especially) Laura. Joanna spent much of her evening looking at Jeeps online.

This morning has been interesting so far. I took the sledge hammer out to move the stakes for the goats when I took the dogs out for their walk. Two of the goats are now behind the sail boat and one is in front. I would have put the third behind as well but I had to use the bathroom so I was in a hurry to get it done and get inside. I might change it later, I might not.

Milking went fairly well other than the fact that I forgot to dip anyone after milking. We’ve been having to hold Goldilocks hind legs when milking because she jumps and kicks so much. Today she didn’t need to be. However, a nasty fly had to bother her just as I was about done with her and she knocked the bowl over so we only got about a cup out of her. Then, when George and Fred came in, it’s been the same way. Laura and/or I have to hold her legs so she doesn’t kick the kids. Today, for the first little while, I didn’t have to (Laura and Cedric were taking Snowflake and Princess out). Once she started, however, it isn’t like she’s going to stop, so I had to hold her for the last while.

Breakfast was breakfast. Paul and Laura are already on their way. Paul has a doctor’s appointment this afternoon I think at 3:00 with a new doctor in Leominster. Laura is prepared with reading material. Joanna is washing her bowl from cereal. Amena is talking to Laura on the phone. Seth and Joseph are outside. Cedric is impaling slugs at the table with a pencil. I am thinking about what I want to eat for breakfast since I haven’t yet.

My day looks to be one of running errands. I get to take papers to my doctor and the doctor that Paul will no longer be going to. That is in Gardner. I also get to go pay a tax bill in Hubbardston. I suppose that means I should take a shower. After breakfast.

With that, I will be off. I hope you have as good a day as we’re supposed to (mid 70’s, fairly low humidity, some clouds but lots of sun with a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon).

No comments:

Post a Comment