Monday, July 23, 2012

Wet Monday (but not wet enough)

I woke up and looked at the clock and said to myself, “Holy C R A P!” It was 7:20. I never sleep in that late. I never stay in bed that late unless I don’t have to milk and have nothing else pressing to do and happen to have a good book to read.

I decided to take the canine girls out for their walk in spite of the lateness of the hour because they still need to do their morning routine of piddles, etc., and I’d rather have them do it outside than in for what should be obvious reasons. Upon walking out, I noticed that the steps appeared wet as did the driveway. After looking around on our walk, I decided, happy day!, that it had rained at some point during the night. I didn’t poke the dirt to see how much and in fact I don’t believe it was much, but currently, anything is better than nothing.

We came in and I fed them. Since we still have some of the worming medicine milk, I’ve been giving it to the dogs in the morning with their Cocker chow (I suppose, since Trista is actually a Springer it’s no longer solely Cocker chow—Cocker/Springer chow?). I gave them their food and got the bowls ready for milking and then went to the back room to get the grain and I heard this awful commotion in the kitchen—growling and barking and snapping. I’m not sure what happened—I suspect that Trista in her exuberance to finish eating got too close to Scooter who cannot see and therefore growled. Trista didn’t like that and snapped at Scooter which led to the row.

After church yesterday we had Buffalo chicken thighs and salad. The chicken was really good, the salad was salad. Adam showed up as we were having six kinds of ice-cream which I told him he could have if he ate some real food first. He’s ever willing to do that. He’d have been here earlier but at first he got to talking to someone at church and then he was supposed to drop Ryan off at 2:30 with his mother and she didn’t show up until well after 3:00. Due to the fact that Adam arrived here at 3:30, she probably showed up around 3:20.

Our home teachers came over at four, Paul went to Gardner to get some clothes at five. Adam and the boys went out walking to one of the myriad gravel pits around here while I made a blueberry pie and blueberry cobbler. I ran out of flour so I ground some. I used some ancient red wheat and it is about the driest flour I’ve ever used. Holy crud. I sure won’t be making any bread with it. I’m not sure what I will be doing with it but the rest of the wheat is likely to become goat food. Actually, if I mixed some molasses in with the flour, the goats might think they’d died and gone to heaven.

Paul went upstairs to take a nap at some point in the evening and was not able to be woken up for family prayer and scriptures so we let him slumber as we did the praying and reading. He woke up and came downstairs as little boys were on their way to bed. Once they were, those of us 17 and older watched a movie called Cinderella Man. Have any of you seen it? I liked it. I like true stories that stick to the true story better than those that are based on a true story. Generally. Adam finally left after the movie. At that point, due to the hour, he’d have been better off to just stay here.

This morning we are in various stages of morning activities. Seth and Cedric are on their way out to play with Fred and George. Laura is having a milkshake that she made. Joseph is hopping around being cute. Amena got on to Laura’s computer without asking. I’m not sure what Joanna is doing but it is most likely in her room. Paul just arrived and is getting ready to make his breakfast.

On the schedule for today are some phone calls and working in the garden. Also working on Cedric’s Birthday story.

Just a little aside, did you know that frogs eat watermelon and corn?

Have as wonderful a day as you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment