Friday, January 17, 2014

Full Moon (not really a good title but about as good as I can get right now)

Good morning!
I am glad that today is Friday. I am glad that there is school today. I am glad that Amena did not miss the bus. I am glad that my headache finally went away.
To everyone who wished me a Happy Birthday, thank-you. It was a good day. Busy, but good.
I finished washing sheets (and bedding) for the boys and got their beds all made and did some other assorted laundry in the morning. Joanna and Zak came home in the afternoon and I remembered that my driver’s license was due to expire on my birthday which was Wednesday. I’d gotten a letter from the RMV stating that the information they had did not match the information that Social Security had and therefore I would need to take care of the discrepancy before renewing my license. I thought that I would have to visit Social Security before renewing my license even though I happen to know that the information they have is the same. Anyway, when Seth and I went out to get his glasses, we stopped at the SS office in Gardner and discovered that they close at noon on one day of the week and at 3:00 the other days of the week. We were there at about 3:45; out of luck no matter what.
Seth got his glasses. I was thinking about going somewhere else but I don’t remember where. I thought about going to the RMV but at that point it was 4:05 and even though we would have gotten there before they closed (I think), I didn’t really feel like dealing with them. So, we went home. Someone suggested that I renew online. I hadn’t even thought of that because I thought I had to go see Social Security first but I now thought I might as well give it a try. If it didn’t work, it didn’t work. If it did work, I wouldn’t have to worry about it and I wouldn’t have to go see anyone anywhere. It worked.
I emailed everyone in Seth’s scout den about rides and got no responses. I called Sharon Bessett, Joey’s mom, and she said that he has basketball practice on Wednesday afternoons and can’t go to scouts on Wednesday’s. So that was out as an option. Joanna was home so I just left Seth and Joseph home with her.
At church we got started at 7:05 which is a definitely an improvement over 7:15 or later. Only two girls were there before 7:00 and they were with me. We’d picked Sarah Trivett up because her dad accidentally took the keys to the car to work. I can totally see myself doing something like that. I had forgotten my keys to the church and hoped that someone was already there who had some. Amy Troop beat us and had her keys so we were able to get in. We got some yellow bricks made for our yellow brick road and then the Young Men were in charge so they all played soccer. Cedric was the star of the show although Emily and Drayton are pretty good. I’d like to see them all play outside. We also got pizza (the Young Men were in charge and they wanted pizza, I guess). Jerusha Peterman made a cake because it was my birthday and because it was Megan Bell’s birthday Thursday. Anyway, it was a pretty good evening in spite of the fact that I’d have been happy to stay home.
I finally got an email from one of the mom’s in Seth’s den. Only three boys showed up. I really think that Wednesday’s are not good. I can make Tuesday’s work. Thursday’s would be great. Wednesday’s just don’t work. At all. For me. And, it seems, for quite a few others. Ah well, such is life. At least we’re scheduled to go help with the can and bottle drive Saturday at 9:00.
Yesterday I was scheduled to go in to be a doula. I hadn’t written it in my planner but it was on the hospital calendar. I’m not sure why I didn’t get it written down but I figured I’d better at least call to see if anyone was in labor and, sure enough, there was a girl there. Figures. All the other times I’ve called in and been ready to go if someone was there, there wasn’t. This time, I wasn’t ready and there was. When I got up at 5:00 to wake Amena up, I stayed up and made lunches and fed animals for in case because I knew I wouldn’t have time if I waited until 6:00. I called at six and was told that there was indeed a laboring mama in. So I had half an hour to finish getting ready. Well, I didn’t make it. I got my shower taken and got dressed. I got the boys up. I told Joanna that I had to go to the hospital (she needed to be to work at 7:30). Amena missed the bus. Are you kidding me? She was up and ready to go and missed the bus.  I told her if she missed it there wasn’t anyone who could take her but she missed it and I knew that if we left right then we’d be able to catch it so we left and we caught up at the triplets house. I went home, Joanna and I left, and I was only seven minutes late.
And being at the hospital was once again an interesting experience and I learned a lot from just watching people. I’m not sure how much I can safely say; I know there is a lot I would like to say.
It might just be sufficient to say that really hate the fact that we are where we are today in the United States as far as birth and education are concerned.

Have a spectacular day!

No comments:

Post a Comment