Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Boys, Drug Testing, and Gun Control

Good morning! I was sitting here thinking that I really don’t feel like writing anything this morning but decided that a little something might not be a bad idea.
I sent Seth to school with a note saying that I will be picking him and Joseph up from school until further notice. Paul suggested that I talk to the neighbor behind us and see what their feelings are about Logan. If Amena remembers, she is supposed to ask Adam Stanley (across the street) why they don’t like Logan. I hate to seem like there is a war against this child, but he is a squeaky wheel and we all know that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I’m tired of my boys being in trouble because this child is not disciplined and makes up stories to get other children in trouble. I get the definite feeling that his mother at least things his poo don’t stink and that is just wrong. My boys aren’t perfect, my girls aren’t perfect, I’m not perfect. We all make mistakes. Our biggest mistake in this instance was to ever let the boys play with Logan in the first place.
This morning, I saw a post on Facebook that said: “LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT: You want to drug test every person applying for welfare because 2.6% of them are using drugs BUT You feel that mandatory background checks for anyone buying a gun is a violation of rights?!?” That’s certainly food for thought. While I do agree that testing everyone who applies for welfare would be a bit spendy. And I also agree that if we test welfare recipients, we should test everyone who gets anything from the government—including those who work for the government—including our elected officials. Yes, I mean right on up to governors, state legislatures, Congress, the President, every single one. However, due to the expense, there should be some rules. If you are working for the government and make more than a certain amount per year, say $75,000 or $100,000, you have to pay for it out of your own bloody pocket. Everyone else can participate in random sampling and if you make less than $50,000, you don’t have to pay. So, with that, we should also have mandatory background checks in order to buy gun. But they should be more than minimal and less than maximal and they should be the same in every state. Or, if we want to be difficult, we could have minimum and maximum requirements and states could figure out where in there they want be. Or, we could just come up with national rules like this:
1. You have to be at least 18 to own a gun.
2. You have to have a clean background. If you have been arrested for anything, maybe even being drunk but certainly for any kind of drug possession (and some prescription drugs should rule you out as well), you can’t have a gun.
3. You have to take a gun safety course. Maybe more than one depending on what kind/s of gun/s you want to own.
4. Maybe you should have to join a shooting club and keep up with whatever they require.
Please keep in mind that these are just suggestions off the top of my head without doing much (any) research. And by research, I do NOT mean the crap that’s circulating in our very biased idiotic media.
Wow, I’m sitting here at this point thinking, I didn’t want to write and here you are with over 500 words already. I also think it’s time to have something for breakfast.

Have a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment