Thursday, September 19, 2013

Patterns, Tigers, and Practice

Good morning! This is likely to be cut off sometime because Joanna will need to take my lap top to school with her. As usual for a Thursday morning. Cedric is just informing me that he didn’t completely finish his homework yesterday. He came up with all the answers but didn’t write them out the different ways he was supposed to.
Yesterday morning I didn’t do a whole lot because any big projects would get put on hold due to an early release day. I got the dishes done and took a shower and I think that’s really about it. Well, and got ready to and started cutting out patterns for boys’ costumes.
Joanna is home and my computer is once again mine. I was sitting outside reading with Kitty when the boys got home yesterday. I looked up because I saw boys and then had to do a double-take because I only expected to see two boys and there were three. Cedric didn’t realize he was going to be picked up by Craig Halfrey after school for soccer practice because practice wasn’t until 1:00 and school got out at... I’m not sure. I do know that they got home at 12:20.
Cedric didn’t really want to eat but he did want to leave immediately for the rec field with his bike so he could ride around the trail a few times before practice. We left, but not immediately, and he did ride around a couple of times before Jacob and his dad arrived. I walked around three times and then sat in the van reading.
Imagine my surprise when someone opened the side door of the van! Lo and behold, it was Seth! He’d ridden from the house to the park (without telling Amena where he was going). He played for a while in the playground and then wanted to know if he could play a game on my phone. That was pretty exciting.
When practice was over, Cedric and Dominic ran over to the playground. Dominic’s mom, Beth, said that Dominic had said that they didn’t have any recess because it was a half day so she let him go even though she wasn’t too excited about being there. I can so relate. Anyway, she was telling me about some of the things that Cedric and Dominic have done on the new playground at school. It seems that one day, they were with Chris going down the slide that has three parts (it’s just one slide but has ridges dividing it into three parts so that three children can slide down at once). They had their arms around each other so that they would be going down together and they got in trouble for pushing. I know Cedric had told me about falling off and not being able to play the rest of that day. It seems that there are an inordinate amount of rules and boys being boys, they are determined to push boundaries (not to say that girls don’t, but if you know these boys, you understand—Cedric is, after all, the child who wants to play tackle soccer and thinks that the tops of the playground equipment are better than the parts you are supposed to play on [he is a boy and obviously Daniel’s brother] and he isn’t about to play with other boys who aren’t capable of doing at least what he is).
When we were back from practice, we had less than two hours before Joseph had his first Tiger Scout den meeting. The den leader is Jonathan, Jamison’s dad. Only three boys were there yesterday: Joseph, Jamison, and Roger. Roger’s dad is the guy who gave us laptops after the accident and is exactly who I wanted to see to get rid of Laura’s to see about getting a new screen. Worked out well. I think Joseph is going to like scouts. He has been watching his brothers in scouts since he was born. I have to say, though, that the allergies are really attacking because I would have all four boys in scouts right now and I miss Daniel being here for that. Physically.
Anyway, after Tiger Scouts, we got home and I got some supper warmed up for Joseph and Amena ate and I ate and it was time for me to take Amena to church.  Busy afternoon/evening.
I managed to get breeches and waistcoat linings cut out yesterday as well as Joseph’s waistcoat outside not to mention the rest of a skirt for me. Today I’ve cut out Seth’s waistcoat outside and that is when Joanna got home with my laptop and I decided to finish up in here before cutting anything else out. The shirts are going to require a cutting mat, quilting ruler, and rotary cutter. I’m all for vintage stuff, but I figure if we have the modern day methods of cutting and sewing, we might as well use them. In my way of thinking they really aren’t any less authentic for that and quite frankly, I don’t have time to sew them all by hand.

With that, I will bid you adios. Have a splendiferous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment