Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Global Climate Change

Good morning! It has been a busyish morning. Without the use of my computer, I managed to get quite a bit done yesterday morning and thus far today.

Yesterday while Joanna was working on her math homework, I finished cleaning out the downstairs bathtub and took most of the stuff that was in it to the basement. I put the tiles for the ceiling in it and Joanna put up a shower curtain to hide the more organized contents of it. Because the boxes of tiles (which are two feet square so the boxes are a bit larger by at least four inches [the ones for the main part of the house are about four inches because they’re metal and heavier while the ones for the back room are PVC or some such thing and lighter so the box is about six inches]) are now out of the library, it is a bit easier to see what needs to be done in there to restore order. We do have a couch we need to dispose of. It’s still in good shape, although in need of cleaning so if you know of anyone local, let me know.
Yesterday I also put clean sheets and blankets on Cedric’s bed and folded and put away the clothes he had on his bed as well as doing a bit of rearranging in his drawers/shelves. Today I stripped Joseph’s bed and put clean sheets on and emptied his drawers, purging them of items of clothing that are too small or that he does not currently need (swimming trunks—just don’t foresee any swimming in the near future). His drawers are all nice and organized and all his clean clothes are put away and I have added to my bags of things to take to Salvation Army. I think that needs to happen today. Maybe when I take the Jetta in for its alignment after lunch.
I washed and dried and folded much laundry yesterday and have done a decent amount today. Joseph has a blanket in the washing machine waiting for the dryer to stop. After that load, there is another of blankets to wash and dry and a load of towels. Once they are done, I’m done with laundry for the day in spite of the fact that there is a full basket of dirty in the boys’ room. and that I think there are two loads of towels; only one is going to get done today and I don’t guarantee they’ll be folded.
While I did not accomplish everything I wanted to yesterday, I did get my 1,000 words written which was very nice as I hadn’t managed to for quite a few days.
Last night I took one of the allergy pills that I got for Amena. When I took one before, I did in the morning and all afternoon I was really tired. I took one last night and I feel kind of loopy. I really don’t like it and don’t think I’ll be taking one of them again.
Recently I read an article about a 1,700 year old sweater that was recently found in Norway ‘due to glacial melt.’ There was also the body of a 5,300 year old man found in the Italian alps. There are other such examples. Some say that we are finding these due to global warming and you all probably know my opinion of global warming. Obviously, these and other finds have been made possible by the receding of ice. What I would like people to think about is how they got there.
Do you think that when the man died, he was fighting inside a glacier and that his killer shot an arrow that somehow made its way to Oetzi through a glacier? Do you think that the owner of the sweater took it off and placed it inside a glacier? It is quite likely that Oetzi and the sweater owner were near or even on glaciers. The sweater may have been left behind for some reason and may have been subsequently covered with snow and thus been entrapped in the glacier. Oetzi may have been fleeing from his pursuer on a glacier and fell and died and been covered by snow and been entrapped in the glacier (although there is some argument as to the possibility that he was buried where he was—if so, they had a strange way of arranging the limbs for burial).
My point is that this man and this sweater were NOT in their respective glaciers when they were killed and discarded. That happened later. My point is that at some point in time, where they were found there might not have been a glacier. What we are seeing is global climate change. It is a normal part of life on this planet and has been happening for eons. To think that we mere humans can make such a huge effect that we have to take action to prevent something that is a naturally occurring process is ludicrous. If you can believe what some scientist say, human activity accounts for less than 1% of the increase in temperatures. On the other hand, if you believe what some scientists say, you believe that we actually are experiencing global warming.
Which brings up another interesting thing. In my reading, I have found that while our hots have indeed been hotter than ‘normal’, our colds have been colder than ‘normal.’ That’s interesting. But consider this: say our normal hot is 100°F and our normal cold is 20°F.The hots that we’ve been experiencing have been, say, 110°F. That is 10 degrees hotter than ‘normal.’ Pretty hot, eh? The colds we’ve been experiencing have been, let’s say, 0°F. That’s 20 degrees colder than ‘normal.’ The point here is that while our hots have been hotter, our colds have been even colder. So, global warming? Don’t think so. Global climate change? You bet.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Well ... one minor nitpick if you don't mind me butting in ;) Global Warming doesn't refer to everything getting hotter everywhere. The term has been misconstrued over the past years. It refers to the warming of the ice caps, the result of this creates/causes global climate changes in the exact sense you describe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I welcome nitpicking. My problem, I think, is that we, as human kind, believe that we are capable of making a big difference in the natural cycles of the earth. I don't think we are. On the other hand, if the earth is going to be burned, and it has something to do with our behavior, then the globe is going to warm up and we will have a lot to do it. On the other hand...

      Delete