Wednesday, September 4, 2013

One of Those Days

And a good morning to you! It is a lovely day thus far. The temperature is nice, the humidity doesn’t appear to be too high, the sky is pale blue and it’s just generally a good day. So far. Don’t want to hold my breath because I know how these things can be.
Yesterday was an interesting day. I had neglected to pay the cell phone bill which I hate doing because I know it is my mother’s only means of telephone communication but when I don’t pay it every month, I have a tendency to forget when it’s my turn. And then I didn’t have enough money either so it was just really annoying. I paid what I had but it wasn’t enough to restore service and I was generally just in a somewhat grumpy mood. I thought to myself that it would sure be nice if some monetary boon appeared from the sky or something because I would also like to move forward with my website and soapmaking and the only thing holding me back at the moment is money (for registering my domain and purchasing a few supplies—I’m almost out of sodium hydroxide for goodness sake!). And there was the small matter of Cedric attending Nature’s Classroom. Not to mention the electric bill due and all the little miscellaneous things that children need like gym shoes and shin guards for soccer and etc. and etc. It just never ends. On top of all that we also have the truck and its going-to-be-huge repair bill and the Jetta that will be ready to pick up Thursday or Friday and the bug that needs to be returned for its further repairs when I go to get the Jetta. With all of this on my mind, I was in a somewhat grumpy mood when I went to work on the things that Laura didn’t get packed away or take with her. It just wasn’t going to work since I didn’t know what she wants to do with things.
So, what did I do? I went to check the mail. What did I find? A small boon. Well, a large enough small boon to take care of all the smaller things that have been weighing on my mind. It would be nice to have a really large one to take care of the larger things, but I’m quite happy to be able to take care of some of the smaller. Needless to say, I said a quick prayer of gratitude and my afternoon was much better than my morning.
Now, all children have been taken away by buses and I still haven’t had breakfast; a common occurrence on school mornings. My focus in the morning is getting children ready for the day. If I wait for them to be gone, my breakfast is more peaceful as well which is probably better for my digestion.
Seth didn’t bring home any homework or his agenda yesterday so I emailed his teacher (Mrs. Churchill who was Amena’s teacher in 4th grade as well and Amena absolutely loved her) so that we can get right on this problem and hopefully turn it into the good habit of remembering EVERY day. She already responded (last night—wow!) and said that either she will remind him or she’ll partner him up with a ‘buddy’ whose responsibility it is to remind him.
Joseph got his homework done rather quickly. It was one sheet of math which he loves. There was on where he needed to write out his own word problem. Writing isn’t one of the things he loves so I offered to write it lightly for him to copy over; he took me up on that. He wanted, “I have 3 goats and 2 dogs and 1 kitten. How many pets do I have?” When I was done writing and he was almost done copying, he told me that he thought the numbers should be written out. I explained that they were written as numbers in all the problems he did but because he was writing a problem, he thought they should be written out. Silly boy.
Cedric needed to do a Me box today which was to include at least five things that define or explain who he is. He put in a small soccer ball, a basketball, a quarter, a piece of candy, and a Lego man. He also needed to have his name and its meaning. This is what we came up with for that:
Cedric
Gender: Masculine
Usage: English
Pronounced: SED-rik
Meaning & History:
Invented by Sir Walter Scot for a character in his novel ‘Ivanhoe’ (1819). Apparently he based it on the actual name Cerdic, the name of the semi-legendary founder of the kingdom of Wessex in the 6th-century. The meaning of Cerdic is uncertain, but it does not appear to be Old English in origin. As Cerdic was a Saxon, his name could have been of Germanic origin. Cerdic may also be associated with the Welsh name Cedrych meaning ‘pattern of bounty’ (this is the one Cedric’s mother goes with because she loves Welsh history and all things Welsh). It could also be connected to the Brythonic name Caratacos. The name was also used by Frances Hodgson Burnett for the main character in her novel ‘Little Lord Fauntleroy’ (1886).
Pretty cool, eh?
Once Amena got home from school we hurried to Walmart to get her some gym shoes. I told her I didn’t care what she got but I would prefer something inexpensive to last until we could get to Marshall’s to get something good. As it turns out, they actually have a few good shoes there so she was able to get something to last for the school year. Unless her feet grow more. She and Joanna were the same size but she’s now almost a full size larger than Joanna. We got home just before the boys did which worked out just the way I wanted.
In the morning, Diane called and while we were talking, I did the water thing for my feet/ankles. I thought I’d mentioned something about that in an earlier post but I don’t see anything. I was talking to Walter Cyr, he’s the friend who is an orthopedic massage therapist, and he said that I should soak my feet up to mid-calf in water as hot as I can stand it for five minutes, then in ice-water for five minutes, then hot, cold, hot, cold for a total of 30 minutes. I did this. The water was so hot that it was nearly half an hour before I could actually put my feet in but until I could put them in and keep them in, I would dunk them in and then put them in the ice water. I am not sure what result I was aiming for but I know that for almost the rest of the day my feet/ankles didn’t hurt. I know that in spite of not walking as much as I was going to yesterday because Seth didn’t have soccer practice, my ankles were both almost normal this morning. Even now, two hours after getting up, they are still not bad. That actually is normal for my right but not my left. The knots are still there and are still tender but they aren’t swollen up. We’ll see how it goes today. I plan to soak them again and Cedric will have practice so I will walk. I also massaged them when I went to bed with frankincense (only three drops—that stuff is expensive!) and fractionated coconut oil. That felt good and might have helped as well.
Other fun things up for today are exciting activities like talking to Laura to go through stuff in the room so I know what she wants done with things. I think there will be three categories: store, mail, give away. Oh, and garbage. Talking to her will be nice, going through everything I’m not so sure about.

Other than that, it’s just the usual stuff that hadn’t been getting done because I was busy taking and picking up cars from the car doctor or taking a child or myself to the dentist or the doctor or there was no school. Should be an exciting day.  Have a spectacular one!

No comments:

Post a Comment