Monday, October 22, 2012

Disjointed

Well, I thought I would get something done Saturday and didn’t. I thought I would get something done yesterday and didn’t. Well, it’s not quite true that I didn’t do anything Saturday. I didn’t post anything. I did upload some pictures and I was going to do some more but couldn’t find the cord for the camera so I didn’t. I think this will be relatively short in words but there are some pictures from soccer.
Paul and I went to an estate sale in Oxford Saturday afternoon because they had canning jars. They had quite a few of the wire bail type that I would not use for canning (but would use for keeping sugar, popcorn, etc.) and almost as many of the more ‘modern’ type (that use a lid and screw band) that I would use for canning. I thought the guy said we could have 15 for $3 which would have been a really good deal. But no, it was 15 for $3 EACH. Are you kidding me? I know that the square ones (of which there were about three out of a total of about 50) can be worth a few dollars and that the colored ones can literally be worth up to thousand but there were no colored jars. If I were the betting type, I would bet that most of the ‘modern’ jars were no older than I am and I happen to know that my grandma bought jars in my lifetime for less than $3 for a dozen. Heck, I can buy them for less than $12 a dozen new. I told them this and said the most I would be willing to pay was $1 per jar. No, that wasn’t good enough. “They’re old,” they said. “Yeah,” I said, “not THAT old!” Why do people think that they can get so much for something that isn’t worth it? I’d love to be there tomorrow when the person comes who supposedly is going to take what’s left. If they buy quart jars for $3 each, I think I have a few things to sell them, too.
Since writing that last paragraph, I did more research and I think some of the jars may have been from the 20s to 40s. Why do I think this? Because there were so many zinc lids. It’s possible that the lids were on newer jars but it’s also possible that the jars are as old as the lids. That still does not make them worth $3 each so I’m not unhappy that we left them. I am happy that we did not get them.
Saturday morning Joseph’s team lost their game. Funny thing about that is that Joseph and Luke both said that they won. They’re so darn cute! Cedric and Seth’s team won. They had a really good game. I enjoy watching them. They didn’t have a game the Saturday before and the week before that their game was cancelled due to weather. This past Saturday was beautiful—a perfect Indian summer day. Seth and Cedric both were really good at getting right in the lump of boys around the ball to get it out and they both like to run. I didn’t realize that Seth is actually faster than Cedric. That isn’t to say that Cedric is slow at all, Seth is just faster.
Yesterday was yesterday and I’m going to have to do what I’ve got because I feel really disjointed this morning and there is a lot on my plate for today.
Have a great day!

























Clouds on the way to Oxford.

Clouds on the way to Oxford.

No comments:

Post a Comment