Saturday, May 17, 2014

1,257 Words on a Rainy Morning

Good morning! Yes, it is 6:29 and no I did not think I would be up doing this at this point in the morning. However, how often does life turn out exactly the way we planned?
This morning looks much the same as yesterday but slightly lower temperature and humidity (58° and 93%) but with lots of rain which is supposed to stop around 8:00 this morning. I hope it really does because the goats need to go out.
Last night she had a semi-formal dance. Joanna took her and a friend there and picked her up after. Because we weren’t home yet when she had to go pick her up, she took the boys with her (smart girl, she is) even though it meant they didn’t get to bed until 9:30. I saw on Facebook last night pictures of some of the girls and I have to say that I really am not impressed with the way ‘fashion’ is going. All the girls in the pictures had strapless dresses and the length could be added to without hurting anyone.
The principle send out an email to parents stressing the fact that this was to be a semi-formal dance, not a 7th grade prom and that any student wishing to leave early would have to be previously approved as leaving early in order to get ready for the dance (hair, make-up, fingernails, etc.) was not allowed. Why on earth is such an email necessary? Are students and parents that ridiculously nonsensical? Don’t parents complain about their children growing up too fast? And we then attempt to foist off on them things that make them grow up faster than they ought?
It brings to mind a cartoon I saw on Facebook of a mother and daughter. When the daughter was a young child, she was dancing and the mother praised her lewd movements. When the daughter was a bit older, probably 10 or 11 or 12, they are shown shopping and the mother is holding up an outfit and says, “The boys should really like this.” Next it shows the daughter very pregnant and the mother is crying, “Where did I go wrong?!”
And that brings to mind the whole issue of the way girls dress and the way guys think about the way girls dress. I read an article/blog post about a girl for whom her prom was ruined because she was asked to leave because some of the men (I’m guessing they may have been fathers of some of the students there) acting as chaperones were having ‘impure’ thoughts about her because of her dress. According to the article, her dress conformed to dress code for the event and one of the organizers of the event approved it. In spite of this, she was asked to leave because of the thoughts of others.
I do have some thoughts on this. First, are men really that weak-minded? The sight of a girl in a short dress (it didn’t show the dress so I don’t know what the top looked like but it did say the code for length was ‘fingertip’) leads men to have ‘impure’ thoughts? Really? They must not be able to control themselves very well.
Second, why do girls think they have to wear next to nothing? Fingertip is really an arbitrary length. Some girls have long arms, some have short arms. Personally, I would never have worn a skirt or dress that was fingertip length although I must admit that part of the reason I wouldn’t is because I don’t like my legs and that is another issue altogether. What is the attraction with strapless dresses? Or even spaghetti straps? Do girls really think so little of themselves that they have to show as much as possible? Does society think so little of girls that they have to show as much as possible?
Anyway, a dance last night from 6 to 9 and this morning Amena has an honors breakfast at school at 8:30. We will need to leave by 8:00. Was that bad planning or what? Maybe students who do well aren’t expected to go to dances. Maybe students who do well are less likely to be up at all hours of the night partying like it was a prom when it really wasn’t.
I’d love to say at this point that homeschool sounds better and better all the time but guess what? That girl who was asked to leave was at a homeschool coop prom. The problem permeates our society.
In other news, Cedric spent the night at Max Ladroga’s last night. I am not entirely sure how he is getting home because Amena and I will be at the breakfast until whenever it’s over.
Yesterday was an okay day. It being Friday, Seth and Joseph didn’t have any homework. I always like that. Emily West came over to do some sewing around noon. She thought she might have Elizabeth with her because she is staying with them for a week but Elizabeth didn’t come. Adelaide thought Misty was pretty funny. It was pretty funny seeing how funny Adelaide thought Misty was.
Joanna and I did some cleaning in the morning. I picked up and swept the dining room, took care of the mess on the brown couch, picked up and swept the library. I got some laundry done but there is much more to do today. I hate laundry. I really do.
The morning when I got up, every light that could be on, was other than the one in the boys room. The upstairs bathroom, the hall, the living room, the downstairs hall, the downstairs bathroom, the kitchen, the dining room, the library—they were all on. Seth was up already playing a game on the computer in the library but he didn’t turn on all the lights and didn’t know how they got turned on. Wow. Must have been a ghost. I think the ghost has a name and it is Seth.
Misty and Scooter are no more companions now than they were when we brought Misty home. Misty is cute and she loves to play and run around. However, it is interesting to note that a dog got into the garbage in the upstairs bathroom during the night and emptied the trash can all over the floor. Scooter doesn’t do that; Trista did, but not Scooter. There was poop at the top of the stairs. I can’t say that Scooter has never done that but she hasn’t that I am aware of (although I understand she used to pee in Adam’s bed when he lived here). And there were two puddles of pee; one in the living room, one in the hall by the downstairs bathroom. This needs to come to a quick resolution because I am not pleased.
This evening the boys have the last pack meeting of the year. When Amena and I get home, I need to make something for that in the way of side dish or dessert. Tomorrow is Stake Conference and all members of the Ward Council and their families are invited to a pot luck lunch after church so I need to make something to take for that as well. I am not sure what I am doing for either one. However, other than doing those things, I would like to get more work done in the cleaning department. I especially would like to get the floors done but that might wait until Monday morning.

For now, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment