Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Saturday and Sunday on Tuesday

Good morning! Actually, although it is a lovely day out, how good it is can depend entirely on other factors.
Last night it was Cedric’s turn to vomit. He left it all over the bathroom floor and toilet and his bed. I discovered it when I stepped in it. I could smell it but I couldn’t see it until I turned the light on. Yuck. In spite of this, he is insisting that he feels better this morning and that he wants to go to school. I think he is crazy but he doesn’t want to have to make up any MCAS testing. I can’t say I blame him for that but if he gets sick during them idle of it, I would think he’ll have to start all over whenever he does it.
After discovering the mess in the bathroom, I had to find out who had done it. I also needed to use the bathroom and didn’t particularly want to clean the one upstairs first so I went downstairs and found Cedric on a couch. Then I took a dirty towel upstairs and wiped up most of the officiously offensive mess. I had a hard time getting back to sleep after that but did eventually.
We’d eaten eggplant parmesan for dinner Sunday afternoon and it made me feel nauseous but I wasn’t sure if it was because I’d already been feeling that way or because of the food. So Monday we had the same thing (leftovers, you know) and it had the same result. I was tired when I went to bed but still feeling nauseous so it took a little time to get to sleep. When I woke up during the night, I had a hard time getting back to sleep again and when I did, had really strange dreams.
Saturday at North Brookfield was very interesting. I made two batches of soap and answered any questions that people had. I met lots of people and put faces to some I’d communicated with via telephone and email for church. There were quite a few people there both with tables/demonstrations and to look. Some of the tables included family history, beekeeping, yogurt making, wet canning, dry canning, personal preparedness, self-defense, alpacas, chickens, aerial photography, recycling, and I know I’m forgetting some. There was a drum troop in another room and outside a fire truck taking people up in the bird’s nest as well as the actual alpacas and hotdogs. I would be willing to take goats down if we had a better way of transporting them. I don’t think I can handle using the van again.
Right now I need to go take care of something outside. I’ll be back.
I am back.
The whole time I was gone Saturday, I was drinking water. I’d had a late breakfast, don’t really care for hot dogs, and was hoping that I’d live until I got home without developing a headache. There actually was a lot of other food there but it was mostly stuff like cookies, cake, and brownies. And marshmallows but those have never been appetizing. So I drank water. And drank water. And drank water. And used the bathroom before we left for home. However, before I got home, I had to go. It was awful. I kept eyeing spots along the side of the road that looked like potentially good spots but managed to make it until we got home. Then I parked near the sisters’ car so they could transfer a dry pack canner and I ran to the house (sort of) to use the bathroom. Then I moved the car, we got all the soap stuff unloaded, and we went outside so they could look at the kittens. I walked over toward Libby who was in the pen and noticed something by her feet. She had her babies! Two little kids, one mostly black, one mostly brown.  I’d gotten the partition and gate done just in time.

Our Saturday night routine consisted of leftovers for dinner, showers, and Despicable Me 2. I went to bed. I felt terrible. I was tired and was beginning to feel rather icky and every time I got up to use the bathroom, I felt like it was my turn to vomit.

Sunday I stayed home from church and went back to bed once everyone left and slept until 12:30. When I woke up, I felt amazingly good and made parmesan eggplant and salad to eat. Pretty exciting. Of course, then we had a little altercation with about 20 keys that the boys had lifted from the junkyard when they’d gone with Paul Saturday morning. None of them would admit to having taken them but I knew that Cedric was holding something back. Finally after Family Home Evening, prayer and scriptures, Paul had gone to visit Rich Goguen and I was getting everyone to bed, I told the boys that it was too bad that they hadn’t been able to tell the truth about the keys; if they had, we would have had ice-cream for FHE refreshments.
I guess that got them to thinking and while I was making my bed, Seth came in and told me he’d taken five, Joseph had taken four and Cedric took the rest. Cedric and Joseph agreed and then came the golden question: “Can we have ice-cream now?” I almost laughed but couldn’t. I had to explain that the time for telling the truth is before telling the lie to cover up and that there still had to be consequences. If they’d have told the truth the first time they were asked, then, yes, they could have had ice-cream. But they not only didn’t come forth with the truth then, they lied about what happened and it wasn’t until more than two hours later that they decided to tell the truth. They were not happy.
Yesterday I finished reading Three in a Bed. Very good book. I’d really like to see an updated version simply because it was published in 1989 which makes it 25 years old right now and there have been no changes unless medical professionals and organizations have come out even more against cosleeping. I really think we are hell-bent as a society to do everything we can to make sure that our young people are as messed up as possible. Anyway, you can read my thoughts on the book in my midwifery blog.
Have a splendid day!
I almost forgot my mini-report on hireath. It is a Welsh, or Cymru, word that indicates a longing for one's homeland, but indicates more than just homesickness; it expresses the connection one feels for that homeland when separated from it. I ran across a blog that I think really explains it well:
“There is no word in English for hiraeth. Hiraeth is a Welsh word that has no direct English translation; an approximation would be the longing, or yearning for home.
“Hiraeth is the sense of being so much a part of a place -- and the place, a part of you -- that you feel forever incomplete when separated from it.
“Finding one's true spiritual home. If you ever do, you know the meaning of hiraeth - there is no comparable word in English - it describes the feeling that true 'home' feels like, wherever.

“Hiraeth can meaning a longing for many things, not just a homeland. I think it can even be used to mean nostalgia for times past, as opposed to place (Suzie, and Steve. "What Does Hiraeth Mean?" Web log post. Tales of "Hiraeth" Blogger, 2 Apr. 2008. Web. 6 May 2014.).”

No comments:

Post a Comment