Friday, May 2, 2014

Sleeping and Goats

Another head start for tomorrow. As I mentioned, I am now reading Three in a Bed: The Healthy Joys & Remarkable Benefits of Sharing Your Bed with Your Baby by Deborah Jackson. From reading this book (I am now about half way through it) and recent articles, it seems that cosleeping is something like gun control. Because some people are killed with a gun, guns are bad and should be done away with. Because a few of the babies who die in their sleep (regardless of whether they are in their own beds or their parents beds) die because they suffocate, it is therefore of utmost importance that all parents know that cosleeping (and I am referring to a baby sleeping with his parents in their bed) is bad and should be stopped right now, if not sooner. Wow. Just wow. If you’d like to know how to solve some of the problems our society has, you should read this book. It is a bit dated because it was written in the 1980’s, but I really feel that the information is still valuable and it’s somewhat amazing that we are still having this conversation 30 years later.
Good morning!  After a lovely lightning display last night with an accompanying downpour, it is a lovely morning. Nice temperature with some clouds in the sky (that look potentially like rain).
Today, this morning I should amend, I am cleaning out the goat shed since it is not currently raining. I have stakes for five and ties for four so currently we have Bailey, Leroy, Snowflake, and Goldilocks staked out. Libby is just wandering around in the field eating grass and I had to put Zoey in the pen because she wanted to follow Seth everywhere. I will have to go get another tie because she isn’t going to like being in the pen and I would not be at all surprised if she finds a way to escape. I might take her out and trade one of the girls for her.
I will probably be back but right now I really need to make hay while the sun shines, so to speak.
Almost an hour and a half later, the shed is cleaned out. Five carts of stuff removed and deposited in the garden. Libby is a social goat but she prefers the company of other goats. Zoey is a social goat and doesn’t care if she’s with goats or people but would prefer both. The first load from the shed to the garden she accompanied me. The second load she stayed near the shed because she’d finally discovered that she could see her goaty companions in the field. By the time I had the third ready, she had made her way out to the field and was happily eating grass with her caprian friends.
Because the shed is just one open area and we now have six goats and two of them are yearling bucks who know what their job in life is, next on my agenda is building a partition and gate so that Libby and her kids will have a separate area. I am not of the opinion that kids should be removed from their mothers any more than I am that babies should be but I do think they need their own space, especially when there are bucks around. I’d really love to begin work on the barn but I think I need a little help with that.
And supplies. Laura, ready to teleport out? I could use you. And while we’re doing such things, let’s just go back in time to before the accident so that Daniel would still be here but with the knowledge that we now have so that we could get Joanna here, too. Okay, it’s not a perfect world, I know, and we have to make do with what we have and the situations we are in. But if I could change things, that’s what I would do.
Well, I’m done eating. Scooter wants back in. She’s just been asking to go out because she wants to eat Kitty’s food. I’ll let her go help me when I go back out soon.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment