Monday, May 12, 2014

And the drumbeat carries on . . .

Good morning! Another lovely day out. There are some clouds today but the temperature is nice and the humidity is currently tolerable. And I really need to go milk a goat so I’ll be back. I am back. The temperature is nice, the humidity is currently tolerable but the bugs are awful. May is bug month in Massachusetts and I do not like it.
And, just by the way, I need Laura. (Laura, do you feel loved and wanted?) She told me when she was little (before Daniel was born) that when she grew up and got married and had babies she would move away but only so far that she could walk to my house every day. I’m sure Cedric will suffice for the job that needs doing currently (castrating baby goats) but sometimes I need someone a bit larger. Daniel would do quite well but I think we all know why that won’t work.
The ice-cream cake (from Joanna).

And, by the way, I hope all of you mothers and prospective mothers out there had a perfectly wonderful Mother’s Day. Mine was tolerably good. Really, that’s a bit of an understatement in many ways but this is me speaking so it’s what you’re going to get. I got a black scarf threaded through with silver threads, The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm, We are all Water Babies by Jessica Johnson and Michel Odent, a pretty little bouquet, a bag of peanut M&Ms, an ice-cream cake, a card that Seth drew, a bracelet, an X-men Squinky (it’s the guy Samuel Jackson plays), and an eraser. And a phone call.
The flowers (also from Joanna).

During the last ten minutes of church, the YW went in with the Relief Society to practice the song that we’ll be singing next week for Ward Conference. It is called “Each Life That Touches Ours for Good.”
1. Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.

2. What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

3. When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

4. For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.

Text: Karen Lynn Davidson, b. 1943. © 1985 IRI
Kitty loving her black baby.

We did not and are not going to sing the 3rd verse but this is the last song that I sang in the Etna Ward before we moved to New Mexico and with words like that on Mother’s Day, it’s hard not to think of children who are not here and will not be calling on the phone and cannot be contacted via mail, phone, email, Skype, etc. And of course, sometimes when we are thinking of such things, the ability to sing leaves and the feminine side of grief exhibits itself in tears that want to spill. I am not sure I will be able to sing it next week. We shall see.
Speaking of Skype, I have it on my tablet so if anyone wants to, we have the capapbility.
Amena got off with no problems this morning. The boys are all outside waiting for the school bus. Cedric has been busy with the camera taking videos of the kittens.  I just spent a good twenty minutes looking at said videos. There are several taken over the course of the past few days; mostly of the kittens, one of the kids but they were asleep so it’s not very exciting.
The boys got off with no mishaps other than Seth not being able to find his fraction mobile. He didn’t remember where he’d left it and thought it was outside. I thought he might have brought it back inside but a quick look didn’t find it in either place and he needed to get out to the bus. I found it on the counter not five minutes after they left. Now it’s on the table by me with his name written on the bag. If Paul can drop it off on his way to work I’ll have him do that, if not, I’ll take it as soon as I get dressed. Or at least change my shirt and do something with my hair.
Saturday the boys helped clean out the goat pen. They took out all the twigs, branches, and old Christmas trees that were in it. We did leave one Christmas tree because they like to rub their heads on it. Then Seth and Joseph put most of the lilacs that I’d pulled up from in front of the screen house in the pen. Libby loved the leaves. We didn’t do much in the way of getting old hay out but Cedric did take one load to the garden and I filled the cart up again. Amena cleared off the counter in the kitchen. Paul cut down some trees at the bottom of the hill down by Daniel’s grave. He’s going to clear an area there that mostly has some brush and isn’t very pretty. He was exhibiting the masculine side of grief in ‘doing’. It’s pretty cool.
Today is one of those days I had so many things I wanted to talk about and now I can remember only one. And that is goats. I actually got the Kindle version of one of the goat books I wanted. One of the things on my to-do list for today is double checking weaning in it. I looked at the section on bucks the other day which is why I’ve decided we really don’t want bucks right now. I really do want milk, though, and kids drinking all they want is not conducive to my having all that I want. They’re barely more than a week old at this point, though, so it will still be a few weeks before they are done.

Since I can’t think of anything else exciting, I will bid you good day. Have a fantastic one!

No comments:

Post a Comment