Saturday, December 1, 2012

Back, but in need of getting back into the habit‏


Well, I may be back, but I’ve certainly gotten out of the habit of writing almost every morning. I’ll have to work on that one.

Busy-ish sort of day today for some of us. Paul has been gone pretty much all day. He began by taking the van and Laura to Worcester so a friend of his could take YSA from his ward to a Great Race that the Boston Stake was putting on for all their YSA. Laura and anyone she could get to go were invited from Gardner; she wasn’t able to find anyone else to go but she went. Since he was down there, he went back to an estate sale he’d been to yesterday. He got some canning jars and skewers for kabobs and there were some other things he’d’ve liked to have gotten but the prices were too high. He was hoping they’d be willing to bargain today but they weren’t. He was told to come back closer to 4:00 because they would then. He laughed.

When he got home from that, he and Joseph left to go crazy. Joseph outgrew his Sunday shoes and was in need of a new pair. It took about five stores and a stop at KFC to find a pair that both fit and were to Joseph’s liking. Paul says he would look at a pair and say, “Those don’t fit.” The ones he finally got he looked at (mind you, he hadn’t tried them on yet) and said, “Those fit.” Silly child.

When they got back, Paul took Cedric out and Joanna to work because Cedric is in need of a winter jacket and it was pretty close to time for Joanna to go to work. I thought he’d be able to use the smallest one of Daniel’s that I have but it is still too big for him. Hopefully next winter but in the meantime, he needs something. They found one he liked but it just wasn’t big enough. They got it anyway because Cedric thought it might make Seth feel better. They stopped and got Chinese take-out on the way home and came home and ate.

Once Paul was done eating, it was about time for him to go to Worcester and get Laura and the van. If he’s gone long enough, they might go get Joanna who is supposed to be done working at 11:00 tonight. Since it isn’t that time yet, I cannot tell you how that chapter of Paul’s day will end.

My day has been similar although it’s all been at home.

Seth had something of a sore throat last night when he went to bed. I put oregano oil in coconut oil on his throat and had him gargle with oregano (one drop) in a cup of water. When he got up this morning, he just wasn’t feeling well. He had a low-grade temperature almost all day. I did more oregano and coconut oil on his neck and did some essential oils in my whatever-you-call-the-thing-that-I-put-oil-in-and-light-a-candle-underneath. He gargled a couple of times with the oregano in water as well and I kept at him to drink his water. He had some turkey broth and tried a roll and a brownie but didn’t get too far with the roll or brownie. Finally, he took a bath after Joseph had his and I think that helped him quite a bit. Right now he’s in bed. During the day, he mostly slept on the brown chair we have near the fireplace. All day he wanted us to light the fire; when it was finally time, he was out like a light. He LOVES the jacket that Paul and Cedric brought home. He put it on when he came down from his bath and would have worn it to bed if I’d’ve let him. I’m currently of a mind to keep him home from church tomorrow but a friend of his at church is going to be baptized so I’m not sure yet what we’ll do. I kind of like the idea of keeping him home during church and then just taking him after for the baptism. I imagine I’ll let you know how that goes. One advantage to staying home is that I can fix lunch during that time rather than hurrying to get it all together before we leave.

I made turkey chowder Thursday for the missionaries and it turned out really well. There was only enough left over for Paul to take for lunch the next day. Since I still had the pot of turkey bones simmering on the stove, I made more today. It turned out good, but not as good as Thursday. There is enough that we could have it tomorrow after church. I don’t really want to, though. I want to make stewed kielbasa with peppers, onions, cabbage and tomatoes. Anyway, the pot of turkey is now gone from the stove and washed and even put away. It’s nice to have the stove top back. And clean. I also made rolls to go with the chowder. I was thinking we’d have that for lunch but it didn’t really get done in time so we had a whatever-you-can-find lunch and had the chowder and rolls for supper.

This morning I got some foil gift wrap out and made a pattern to make the balls that we used to make when I was younger. I don’t remember when I learned to make them but it was either 4th or 6th grade. I really like them and I think they look nice hanging in windows with Christmas lights and paper chains. That’s the goal. Amena made a 3D snowflake. We were thinking of having one snowflake hanging in the middle with a ball on either side but the snowflake is rather huge so if we do that, we need to make them smaller. I’ll have to get some pictures taken to post.  At some point, I went upstairs to find more paper. Currently we have three kinds of silver, one gold and one green. It would be nice to have a red as well. If I can find some at a store Monday, I’ll get some. I wouldn’t mind blue, as well.

Sometime in the afternoon, I went up to the attic and got an empty cardboard box. I decided it was time to go through the boxes of stuff from the estate sale that Paul and I went to and got yarn at and the boxes of stuff from Matthew’s apartment. It’s been sitting in the living room since whenever it was put there. Long enough that the stuff from the apartment doesn’t give me a headache. The box was filled with cones and skeins of yarn and then I emptied a Rubbermaid tote and thought I’d rather have yarn in that than a cardboard box so I transferred. Then I took that and the empty box up to the attic and brought down some hangers. Paul went through part of the closet last Sunday (or maybe it was on Thanksgiving) and got rid of some shirts that he will never fit into again and put some up in the attic that he hopes to fit into again. It was a good thing to do. Then he hung up the shirts that he wears regularly until he ran out of hangers. I knew there were more in the attic but hadn’t gone up to get them. I did today and hung up the rest of his shirts and there are still hangers left.

After going through all the stuff from Matthew’s there was more laundry to do so I started that. We’ve got enough towels to last about a month without washing. There was a really nice velour twin-sized blanket that I said I would put on my half of the bed because Paul has a green one just like it. I’ve been using a pink one on my side but it’s a queen/king size and is just too big. So Paul pointed out that it’s a queen/king size—why don’t we just use that rather than the two? Why indeed? So when I made the bed, I put the pink one on. Pink. Did I just say that? I can’t believe I have a pink blanket on my bed. Oh, well, at least you can’t see it because it’s under the pretty quilt that my mother made.

I’m trying to think of anything else I did and I’m coming up with a blank. I did milk this morning. Only Princess is giving milk. Last week we took Snowflake to be bred and I understand the buck took to his duties with relish. Next week I’d like for Goldilocks to go. Had she not dried up on her own, I wouldn’t have her bred again but she did so she’s useless to me so we might as well breed her again. Then, I’d like to take Princess a week or so later. I’d like to spread out the kidding because I just don’t want to deal with that many kids all at one time. We aren’t set up to deal with six at the same time and they’re going to be coming too close together as it is. I’d really like to get rid of Snowflake. She is the alpha doe and she beats on Princess unmercifully. I know it’s the way it is in the animal world but she’s a lot bigger than Princess and doesn’t give as much milk as Princess and when she was gone, Princess’s production went up.

A bit of a time lapse here. I had to have a laundry and potty and tooth brushing break. I really like to get things hung up as soon as they come out of the dryer if they are supposed to hang up so that they don’t get all wrinkly. Paul had some shirts to hang up and there were some in the stuff from Matthew’s. Three of them had to go back in the laundry because the collars just aren’t acceptable. I really should go through the rest of the load and separate them but don’t feel like doing it yet. It won’t kill anything.

I also had to go investigate a crash in the boys’ room. It was a Cedric. He says he didn’t fall out of bed but the only part of him that was on his bed was from the armpits up. He looked a bit groggy so I’m thinking he fell out of bed and doesn’t remember. He’s back now and probably asleep so all is well.

And I think that it is about time for me to finish up here for now. This is a rather longish one and if you get this far, it will be quite a feat in blog reading. Have a wonderful night (or day, if you read this tomorrow) and I’ll work on getting back into a regular habit of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment