Saturday, September 15, 2012

Tired, Crabby Days


Good afternoon! It has been an interesting couple of days. Not much out of the ordinary to report though.

Yesterday morning Paul took Elizabeth to work with him. She may end up working with him to talk to Spanish-speaking salons. That would be a good thing and hopefully expand the business. He dropped her off a couple of buildings away and told her to give him 10 minutes. When he got there, he told the guys in the back that he had an interview coming in. They were rather surprised. When the bookkeeper or accountant or whatever she is got there, she clocked in and went straight back to talk to the guys in the back. They went outside and were out there for more than an hour. When Paul asked where she had gone, he was told that she smokes. For an hour? Don’t think so. Paul took Elizabeth for a tour of the whole place and said that they were acting really strange in the back. They’re usually friendly to people who come to interview and show off what they do but this time they wouldn’t talk and stood in front of their work stations with feet apart, arms crossed, and glowering expressions. The rest of the time, Elizabeth just watched Paul and asked questions and she thinks that she would like to give it a try and wants an interview with Blair.

Some might say that Paul is setting Elizabeth up to get the job but it appears to be no worse than what was done to get the new bookkeeper woman hired. A supplier, who happens to be good friends with Steve, recommended her in spite of the fact that she’s never worked for the supplier or anyone he knows. A set up job? Yes, I think so. My initial thought was that Steve supplied her name to the supplier so that he could recommend her. So, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

My day wasn’t all that interesting. I did school work in the morning and just about got done everything I wanted to. I went to get Jonathan at noon so he could open a bank account in Gardner at the bank he had an account at before. He did that and I dropped some books off at the library. We came home and I finished reading a chapter for phlebotomy. Then it was time to go get Cedric and Seth and take them to soccer practice. They were twerps to each other at practice and my mood was deteriorating as I was very tired.

When we got home, I wasn’t sure what to do for supper because I wasn’t sure if Paul and I would be going out then or tonight for the buffet at King Phillip Restaurant (they have a prime rib and sea food buffet about once a month on a Saturday and today is that day). I knew Paul wanted to go to King Phillip because he loves prime rib and sea food but he never did answer. So, I knew the kids at least would need to eat so I went out to get basil and mint for a salad and hatched the idea of making pesto because there was so much basil. So, I made a salad, put some pasta on to cook, and went out to get more basil and made pesto. There was some leftover pork that I cut into smaller pieces and warmed them up. When Paul and Elizabeth got here, it was rather latish so I just put supper on the table and we all ate. We had salsa on the pork, which was good, and the pesto pasta was very good. I was still crabby because I was still tired, but at least everyone was fed. Then we read a chapter of Abraham, had family prayer and Paul left to take Jonathan and Elizabeth home. I could have gone but figured I should probably get children to bed and then go myself so I could get over the general grouchiness. I sort of wish I’d have gone.

So, boys went to bed, I gathered stuff, including my computer and some hot chocolate that I made and went upstairs to bed. I plugged my ears in and turned the volume up and did a little reading on the internet and I don’t remember what else. I heard Paul come home but not come in but I kept doing whatever it was I was doing. Eventually, I had to use the bathroom so I put a bathrobe on and did that and then went downstairs because the front door was wide open. Paul had come in but had gone out again because he couldn’t find something that he’d gotten. He finally found it inside and I ate one while we sat at the table and talked. Then we went upstairs and to bed. I read a book and finished my hot chocolate and then brushed my teeth and turned out my light. We talked a bit and I fell asleep while Paul was still looking at stuff online.

This morning the boys all had soccer games. I dropped Joanna and Joseph off in Hubbardston and Cedric, Seth and I took off for Barre. I’d looked at a map of where we needed to go and read directions provided by MapQuest and the Hubbardston Youth Soccer website and thought it didn’t look too difficult. I’m familiar with getting to Quabbin Regional Middle/High School and I’ve been south on 32 a few times. I really didn’t think it would be too hard. However, I somehow missed the road we needed to turn off of 32 onto. I went back and asked someone for directions and they told me to go the opposite way. I stopped again but the person had just moved here. I asked another, and she really didn’t know. So, at 9:15, I asked the boys if we should keep looking or go home and they said go home. We picked Joanna and Joseph up because Paul hadn’t gotten there yet and Joanna had to get to work. Joseph’s team lost their game, 6 to 8, but he had a lot of fun. Next week they all play in Hubbardston and I know how to get there. I’m going to go to the Petersham field in the next couple of weeks to make sure I can get us there on game day.

I felt so bad, and still do, for making the boys miss their first game. I probably cried half the way home. It is terrible feeling that you’ve let your kids down and sometimes I can’t help thinking that I let all of them down when we had the accident. I am their mother and am supposed to protect them. I know that everything happens for a reason, and I know that I can’t change anything but sometimes, the feelings just come and it is hard to keep them at bay.

On the way home, we drove right by the place we get eggs and I didn’t get any even though I’d planned on it. Since nothing had turned out the way I thought it would, we didn’t stop. Later, the missionaries came over to help Paul get some wood. While they were gone, Cedric and I took a bunch of clothes (one huge bag, one large bag, a bunch [probably 6 or 7] smaller bags, a large box and a larger box) to the Salvation Army. We stopped at a hardware store to get some more fly strips because the ones I had up had lost their stick (we’ve already got at least three since the new ones got put up). Then we went to Walmart where I got some flour, sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Then, since we were out, we went to the egg place and got four flats of eggs and some honey. It is local and has the phone number so I’m going to call them and see if we can get bulk (as in at least gallons). When we got home, Paul and the missionaries were back already. Cedric and I took everything in and I went to put eggs away. Paul had gotten two flats. So, here we are with fifteen dozen new eggs. We had six dozen left so, in spite of the fact that I’ve used more than a dozen making ice-cream and zucchini bread, we have a lot of eggs.

Joseph had been wanting me to make some CTR (Choose The Right) pretzels so I finally did that. I wanted to make chocolate zucchini bread and ice-cream so I did that. Then I decided it was time to sit down and get this all caught up. Paul is working on getting a door in between the back room and what will be the mud room. Seth and Joseph are helping him. He forgot about King Phillip and ate too much lunch too late and, while he’d like the prime rib, isn’t in the mood for sea food so we’ll not be doing that this evening. What we most likely will do, is go shopping, maybe taking Jonathan and/or Elizabeth, and go out to the Thai place we went to last week. Their food is good.

And that’s about that. Tomorrow being Sunday, hopefully I’ll have time to get some posts done that I’ve been working on. In the meantime, I hope the rest of your day is good and that tomorrow is spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment