Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Day Unlike Any Other

Good morning! It is a lovely day thus far. Joseph has lost another tooth and seems much improved over yesterday. The goats are making noise but the windows are closed downstairs in the kitchen/dining room so it isn’t as annoying as it was before I came down. I know that there are children up and about but I do not see or hear them. That very well might mean they’re getting into something but it might not.
Yesterday was another okay day. Not everything on my list was accomplished but most of the things on it were. I did not do Pilates or my evening stretches. I know, shame on me. I believe I have legitimate reasons and I do not believe that I have to share them with you so that’s that.
Joseph’s appointment went well enough. The NP said that because Joseph doesn’t get sick often, she thought it might be wise to give him some antibiotics. If he was often sick, she would have suggested that we wait and see. He is my only child to have had an ear infection but other than that, he has rarely had more than a cold. I thought it interesting that she prescribed for him the same stuff that she did for Seth: azithromycin. Seth got it because he had a reaction to the ampicillin he had about two and a half years ago. He had strep throat about the same time I did then. Anyway, he had his first dose last night and one of the advantages to the azithromycin is that you only have to have four doses rather than the ten for ampicillin. Can’t complain about that.
The other day I realized that I am not going to be able to continue milking at 7:30 because boys will have to be getting on the bus too soon after that. I think milking at 6:30 will probably be better because then they’ll be able to take goats out and then come in and get in dry shoes and socks when they get dressed. It isn’t going to happen today though, considering that it is currently 6:40. I am aiming for 7:00 today. Probably for a few days before I start at 6:30.
A couple of days ago I found a really cool website (http://snowdonia.tupence.co.uk/history/dark.htm). It’s not been updated for a while I think and so some of the links are no longer good but the information that is there is quite interesting. Especially if you have a love of Welsh history. It talks about the history and castles including Roman, Welsh, and English and there is a good blurb about railways that run in northern Wales. I asked Joanna if she wants to go visit with me and she said she would. Now I just need some money and three or four weeks I can just leave. I’d love to take Paul but he doesn’t like travelling like he used to. Maybe someday.
Other than the usual things to do today, Amena, Cedric and Seth are going to Six Flags with Joanna. I think that if someone will be home at the Yang’s, Joseph and I will take the frozen meal over to them. I should do some house cleaning because it needs to be done and some folding of clothes and more washing and drying. Laundry is one of those things; you think it’s all done and then, bam! There’s another mountain of it again needing to be washed.
I finally finished The Reckoning yesterday. The last time I read these books (Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow, and the Reckoning) I didn’t actually finish the last one. I actually don’t even recall starting it. I wanted to finish it this time and although it took much longer because I wasn’t concentrating on reading as quickly as possible, it took a couple of weeks. Anyway, it really is sad so cruel monarchs, and others, can be. Edward sent Llewellyn and Ellen’s daughter Gwenllian as well as Davydd and Elizabeth’s daughter Gwladys to nunneries to be be raised. I suppose it is possible that one of them could have married and caused trouble for Edward years down the road but these girls never had a chance for a normal childhood and both died in their mid-50’s. They did have a better time of it than did Davydd’s sons. The oldest boy, Llewellyn died in captivity in 1288 which is only five years after his father was put to death and would only make him around ten years of age. Owain lived a longer, but gruesome, life. In October 1305, Edward ordered that he be kept at night in a wooden cage bound with iron. According to what I read, he was still alive in August of 1325. Really? I mean, really. What on earth was the purpose? And Davydd. He was dragged to the gallows and then hung. Before he was dead, he was cut down. While he still lived, he was disemboweled and then quartered. I’m sure he must have died sometime during this ordeal. His body parts were sent to various locations throughout England as a reminder of what happened to traitors. What really bothers me is that Edward did this, not just the treatment of Davydd and his prisoners, but the whole campaign against Wales, because he thought he would be doing the Welsh a favor in bringing a more humane existence to them. He felt that he was fighting a holy war no less than had he gone on Crusade again. Do we not see this today? Why do we, as a human race, not learn? Why?

Well, it is time to take care of the goats. Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment