Monday, August 19, 2013

Garden in the Goat Pen

Another lovely day. I wish it would rain.
My left ankle hurts and I’m not sure why. Well, I know why, because I did something to it. What I did, I do not know. Saturday night it was swollen but over the course of the night that went down. Last night it was again and it didn’t go down over night. Maybe it’s because I elevated my legs Saturday night but not last night (I really didn’t like the elevation).
Yesterday was a fairly uneventful Sunday. Church, food, chill. That’s about it.
Paul got a chocolate cake from Market Basket Saturday and some of us had some. I keep eating a piece, hoping I will like it and I keep not. I don’t know why I keep eating it. I don’t like store-bought cake. It didn’t really taste like chocolate and the frosting tasted like it had shortening in it. Which it did. The chocolate zucchini breads were much better and so far, the third one wins. I know I already posted the recipes and initial response yesterday but this morning I learned that Cedric liked the third one the best as does Laura. No verdict yet from Joanna, Seth or Joseph. Joseph said he isn’t sure.
We have a garden growing in the goat pen. It’s something else. There is a squash that I thought looked like a cross between a delicata and a butternut but I’m thinking maybe a delicata (my computer doesn’t like ‘delicata’—it keeps trying to change it to ‘delicate’—so I added it to the dictionary—seriously, where do they get this lack of words?) and pumpkin. There is also a melon plant and a tomato plant.
The melon plant. There actually are two but the other one is very small and stunted.
I’m not sure what’s happening today. There was some talk of the beach but I don’t really want to go if my ankle is going to hurt. Maybe next Monday will be a good day for it. I can hope. There is plenty to do otherwise. Amena needs her glasses, there is wood to stack. Old Sturbridge Village has $5 admission for adults this Friday and all children are free in August. Amena and Cedric have been to that and Seth will be going in the spring but I think it would be fun.
The tomato plant.
We found out last week that Cedric gets to be on the soccer team he wanted to be. I guess he’d been put on the other one but one of the players couldn’t make the practices on the team Jacob Halfrey’s dad is coaching. When he saw that Cedric was available, he grabbed him. Cedric is pretty happy about that. So am I. There are some good kids on the team and they seem to work well together. I haven’t heard anything about Seth or Joseph yet. There was an unofficial practice Friday that I sort of forgot about and there are a couple this week as well on Wednesday and Friday. I don’t see any reason why he can’t go Wednesday and the only reason why he couldn’t Friday is if we go to Sturbridge. Real practices start on the 30th. I hope I hear about Seth and Joseph soon.
One of the delicata crosses.
Right now I’m going to be off. Have a spectacular day!
A lovely blossom.
The squash plant(s). Looking at the leaves, there might be two varieties growing in there.


No comments:

Post a Comment