Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Turkeys in the Field

Good morning! Paul has gotten six of the Septimus Heap books and in one of them was a CD with games. I came downstairs this morning to find Amena exploring and now brothers want to have a go. Silly children.
Yesterday was a pretty exciting day. I went to the chiropractor which is always nice. After that, I went to the Lunenburg Walmart because they have a vision center and that is where we get our glasses because the prices are ridiculously low. Amena now has glasses ordered so she’ll have them by the time school starts.
When I got home, there was time to have lunch before taking Cedric to the doctor. He had his first dose of azithromycin this morning. He got the liquid stuff like his brothers did and he’s far worse about getting it down than they are. He also has to have quite a bit more. This morning we put it in juice and he still had a hard time getting it down. I think tomorrow he should try just taking it straight to get it over with more quickly.
Seth helped pick peaches and we got a decent amount. Paul asked if we shouldn’t pick everything and I said no way. I was picking almost everything already and I explained that picking everything doesn’t do any good because they never get sweet and they get all mushy and gushy and gross. In my opinion, they are good for goat or chicken fodder at that point and not much else. Anyway, we ate probably a quarter of what we picked yesterday (but only because we were eating the ones that had icky spots) and now there are four buckets of peaches in the kitchen to take care of. Last night Paul asked if I shouldn’t sort them and put them in the refrigerator. I said I probably should but there isn’t room in either refrigerator for that many peaches. I don’t think I could fit even one bucket in.
Not the greatest picture because they were rather far away and in the part of the field that has not been mowed yet. Still, there were at least two adults and several chicks.
Seth also helped get three pallets down for wood stacking. That was an interesting job. Paul must have had three layers of old pallets down. The topmost layer is easy to pick up and we were even able to reuse two of the ones we removed. The next layer comes apart but we can get most of it up. The bottom layer has mostly decomposed so much that my main goal is to get whatever pieces still have nails out in order to prevent injury along the way.
I did not get everything finished on my list yesterday but I did accomplish quite a bit. Paul didn’t go to work because we had planned on going to the beach but due to so many sick people, we decided against it. He got some wood split and more grass mowed until one of the blades fell off. Amena did lots of reading, Cedric did lots of laying around curled up in a blanket and Joseph took a nap in the afternoon. Laura and Joanna had work.
Yesterday when I took Cedric to the doctor, I was wondering if I shouldn’t take Amena as well. It’s harder to tell when she’s not feeling well based on behavior. When the boys are sick, they mope around curled up with blankets and aren’t on the go constantly. Some people might say that Amena just mopes around most of the time. What she does do is whatever she absolutely has to and then for the last few days she’s been reading Magyk which is the first Septimus Heap book by Angie Sage.
Well, today, Amena gets to go to the doctor at 9:30. Other than that, I just have the usual on tap. Well, with the addition of doing something with the peaches. I might fill seven quart jars up and can them. I might make some jam. I might make a cobbler. I might do all of the above. And I wouldn’t mind juicing some. That would be really tasty.

Anyway, I need to find some breakfast now. Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. Cedric is certainly your son, you never would take liquid medication. I practically had to beg the doctor to give you pills. He was sure you wouldn't be able to swallow them but you did much better with those than you did with the liquids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cedric and Amena don't weigh enough for the pills yet. Need to get some meat on these kids.

    ReplyDelete