Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Nice 67 Degree Morning

I’m not sure how much more different yesterday could have been from what I was expecting. Shortly after posting, I remembered that Margaret Armstrong and Bethany Price were coming over at 10:00. They’re never on time but still, my day rescheduled from that point on as I looked up when to pick eggplant and then went outside and harvested several cucumbers, several lemon cucumbers, five eggplants, two cherry tomatoes, four jalapeños, and two zucchini before taking my shower.

Margaret arrived at 10:05 and Bethany sometime after that. I really like both of them—they’re quite interesting. Margaret is married, has five children, and does foster care. Her youngest son is almost five and one of their foster children. They’ve had him since he was just a few days old. Bethany is not married but has a couple of girls and she is Jewish (but joined the church several years ago). Right now she doesn’t know what to do with herself because her girls are visiting their father in Florida for eight weeks. They both, Margaret and Bethany, are into essential oils and allopathic medicine. Margaret has good reason as a couple of her children have lymes disease and regular doctors did nothing but treat symptoms. Anyway, they were here for three hours which was fine because I like visiting with them but did take a chunk out of my day.

We had lunch, which got rid of some leftovers but made lots of dishes for Joanna. Adam and Ryan were here all day. I’m not sure why they didn’t leave any earlier but they didn’t.

After lunch, I had the boys take care of the crate on the front porch. Seth thought it would be a good idea to use water and did so without asking first so that made a huge mess. Joanna spent the morning painting the ceiling in her room. In the afternoon, she and Amena went over to Jeremy and Emily West’s (the same people Laura house and dog sat for) to tie-dye some baby Onsies for Heather Myler (the same person Laura, Amena and I went to a shower for Saturday).They got home about supper time and after we ate, went back to work on the bedroom.

I let the boys watch Hulk in the afternoon while I was busy in the kitchen. I peeled, salted and set the eggplant to drain so that I could turn it into eggplant parmesan for supper. I made current muffins with the last of the currants (which emptied yet another container for Joanna to wash—she got a really bad deal in the dishes department yesterday) and then a zucchini rum cake with the zucchini I picked from the garden earlier. I wanted to have it last night after supper but didn’t get the glaze done in time. It was really to warm still anyway so we had ice-cream for dessert and will have the cake probably tomorrow. I’d have it tonight but that’s what we had last week when the missionaries came and I don’t want to feed them the same dessert two weeks in a row.

No ice-cream was made although when I was in the garden I got some mint and heated some milk for it to steep in. It did so all afternoon and while it smells really minty, the milk does not taste minty. I’m not sure what I’ll do about that. Maybe blender it up and strain it. I don’t know; something. I also got some ginger out of the freezer but didn’t do anything with it other than put it in a container and then in the refrigerator.

Today we had currant muffins for breakfast. I really like making the muffins the day before. No mess in the morning—just eating. Milking was fine although I had to wait for Joanna to get the bucket and strainer washed as she did not do the dishes last night.

On the agenda today is painting and dishes and work for Joanna. Work for Paul and Laura. Math and reading for Seth and Joseph. Reading for Cedric. I’m not sure for Amena although while Joanna is painting, she’ll most likely help. I really need to weed the garden and will if it’s still cool enough once the Seth and Joseph summer school work is done. I also want to make ice-cream today and need to do more laundry. So far, we are having a nice temperature day although it’s still rather early to say how it will turn out.

Before I go, I want to share with you an email I received from a friend this morning.

A young lady confidently walked around the room while leading and explaining stress management to an audience with a raised glass of water. Everyone knew she was going to ask the ultimate question, 'half empty or half full?'...

She fooled them all. . . . "How heavy is this glass of water?" she inquired with a smile.

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it.

If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour , I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case it's the same weight , but the longer I hold it , the heavier it becomes."

She continued, "And that's the way it is with stress.  If we carry our burdens all the time , sooner or later , as the burden becomes increasingly heavy , we won't be able to carry on."

"As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden - holding stress longer and better each time practiced.

So, as early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down.

Don't carry them through the evening and into the night... Pick them up tomorrow.

More insight:

1 * Accept the fact that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue!
2 * Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
3 * Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
4 * Drive carefully... It's not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker..
5 * If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
6 * If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
7 * It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
8 * Never buy a car you can't push.
9 * Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.
10 * Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.
11 * Since it's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.
12 * The second mouse gets the cheese.
13 * When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
14 * Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
16 * Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
17 * We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.
18 * A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
19 * Have an awesome day and know that someone has thought about you today.
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY
20 *Save the earth..... It's the only planet with chocolate!*

Have a fandicular day!

No comments:

Post a Comment