Monday, August 13, 2012

Yet another day in the middle of August (and yet unlike any other)


Holy cow, Grandma. Did it really get up to 103° yesterday in Yreka? I have three little things on my laptop that tell  me what temperature it is in Hubbardston, MA, Naples (which will change to Bonners Ferry as soon as I do it), ID, and Yreka, CA. Yesterday at 9:00 here, which would have been 6:00 there, it said 103° for Yreka. Paul said he’s glad he’s not there. Me too. I know that it was likely dryer than here but still, when it gets that hot, I don’t much care.

Mom, how’s the moving going?

Becky, how does it feel to be home from your adventures?

We had a lovely day yesterday. After the rain in the morning which started as I was milking and ended sometime while we were in church, it began raining again in the afternoon. That lasted for two or three hours. We are now nicely soaked and not due for more until Wednesday if the current forecast is to be believed. I’ll believe it when I see it. In the meantime, we will be anxiously waiting for the van to get worked on so that we can go to the beach (as in ocean) sometime in the next two weeks. Today would be a wonderful day for it as it’s supposed to be nice. However, Paul and I just took the van to Dennis yesterday evening so it’s not likely anything has happened thus far.

Amena and Joanna are supposed to take the goats out this week. I just went upstairs to see what was up with them and they were both lying in bed looking rather asleep. I said, “It’s time to take the goats out, girls.”

Amena rolled over and with one eye half-open said, “I was waiting for Joanna.”

Joanna, on her back with ear buds in and eyes closed said, “I was waiting for Amena.”

I went to see what’s up with Laura and when I went to go downstairs, Joanna and Amena each had one leg hanging out of bed. It would have been a good picture. I sat back down here and Amena came down the stairs on her way to the bathroom (Joanna must’ve gotten to the one upstairs first) and her eyes were just slits. Silly girls.

How long do scars itch? The last major scar I had was when I slipped on ice on the way to school and cut my knee when I was in I think first grade. One scar from last year on my elbow has been itching up a storm lately. It’s annoying because half the time I think it’s a bug bite and when I go to scratch it, realize it’s a scar.

Yesterday we got quite a few tomatoes out of the garden. There are nine on the table and there were three or four eaten last night. We had plums and tomatoes for ‘supper.’ I noticed some baby watermelon also and everything else seems to be growing well. The cucumbers really didn’t like the dry weather and some of the plants look somewhat scraggly but they are producing. The West’s (the people Laura house/dog sat for) borrowed my water bath canner; I’m going to need it back so I can do some pickles. And hopefully peaches. I need to remember to call people about peaches today.

Not much on the agenda for today. Some general things that always need to be done like laundry and cleaning bedrooms. A trip to the bank is in order so that I can pay the cell phone bill. I think Paul will probably take the truck to work because the Jetta needs its new tires put on and then an alignment. Actually, it might just need the alignment because the new tires may have been put on by the guy who fixed it. Anyway, just . . . stuff.

Have a wonderful day wherever you happen to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment