Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lazy Sunday Afternoon (which does not describe yesterday or the morning)

Good morning one and all! Today has been an interesting day already but let’s step back to yesterday before we proceed with today.

To begin, yes, AD, I will certainly add Skyler to the list. You’re mentioning that he is six feet tall at 16 makes me wonder what Daniel would have been at 15. He was 5’6” at 14 and still going strong. He would certainly have passed me and his sisters up by now.

Now it is afternoon. There was much to do this morning and much has happened since then so I will once again back up to yesterday.
Yesterday turned out NOTHING like I expected. Paul didn’t get any cement work done and I didn’t get much done at home either. However, after breakfast and a shower, we took Amena, Cedric, Seth and Joseph to Leominster and got them all shoes for school. Joseph and Seth are very happy with what they got—they match! Cedric matches as well but he isn’t happy with them. He wanted some that cost three times as much. Even if he were an only child, I wouldn’t want to spend that much on shoes I knew would be worn out within three months at most. That boy is hard on shoes. Amena’s are different. Paul thought we should get matching ones like the boys but I can understand why that would not be an attractive idea to a 12-year-old girl even if she almost the opposite of a girly-girl. Seth and Joseph also got soccer shoes that match the ones Cedric got a few weeks ago. Now, Joseph thinks it is absolutely the most wonderful thing that all three boys have matching shoes for school, matching shoes for soccer, AND matching shoes for church!
After shoes, we were close to the Salvation Army so we stopped there because Amena still needs pants for school. Everyone else is good clothes wise. We found four pair that were possible fits but they all turned out to be too short or too big around. She did find a sweatshirt that fit the way she likes and a pair of pajama pants (for $1.99 it’s a much better deal than making them even if I already have the fabric--$1.99 would about get them cut out).

Then we came home, Laura put a container of fuel in the van, and Paul and I left to go to lunch. We went to the Indian place in Fitchburg. They have a buffet for lunch that is quite good. Paul’s only problem is that the selections are usually too hot for him or contain garbanzos. Not being afflicted with an allergy to chick peas and not having a body that reacts violently to hot foods, I don’t have any problems with it. (Although I did feel it coming out this morning.) After lunch, we stopped at a couple of stores. I don’t think Paul really likes shopping with me because he sees something that is a good deal and I either don’t like it or say we have too many at home already. And I’m not a meander around the store kind of person; I like to get in, get it done, and get out.

After we’d been home for a while, Paul left again to do the real shopping. Laura got ready to go on a Young Single Adult activity. They went to pizza and a movie. We had supper (leftover sautéed zucchini, onions and peppers) with pasta, sliced cucumbers and tomatoes. For dessert, we had ginger ice-cream and zucchini bread. Talk about good—that’s going to be on the dessert menu for good.

After supper, it was get-the-dishes-done-time and get-the-showers-taken-time so that’s what we did. Cedric did not want to do the dishes but I wasn’t about to let him off the hook. I wish they would all (except Joanna) get the idea into their heads that the dishes can be done throughout the day rather than waiting to do them all at once before bed. Maybe someday; I’m not holding my breath. Between showers, we read a chapter of Ether in the Book of Mormon and had family prayer. Then it was off to bed for a couple of little boys, finished the dishes for Cedric, mix cookies up for me so that Joanna could bake them, unload the van when Paul got home with food, and all that fun stuff.


This morning, the canine girls and I had a rather uneventful walk. We went down to Daniel’s grave and checked where I moved the goats to to make sure they couldn’t reach the trampoline (they like to eat the foam stuff off the polls for the net). The garden mums are really pretty right now and the goats cannot reach the trampoline. When we got in, I got ready for milking. I still haven’t found a board to put over the place to put a bucket on the stanchion so that they won’t have to reach down so far to get grain so Snowflake kept having issues. Goats are such interesting creatures. Princess and Goldilocks don’t have a problem but Snowflake’s neck is just enough bigger that she can’t get down far enough and she does not like it. Other than that, milking was fine. Unless you count when I was. . .well, you probably don’t want to hear about that.

After church today we had a ‘linger longer.’ In other places, this would be called a pot luck. On the menu were hot dogs, salad, watermelon and cookies. People signed up to bring whatever and EVERYONE was supposed to bring a salad. I signed up for bringing chips and a condiment (I made some tomato relish two summers ago that needs to be used up) AND cookies (I was planning on just taking zucchini bread but Joanna wanted to make cookies as well which is why I mixed some up last night and she started baking them). This morning I cooked some pasta, cut up about eight tomatoes and poured a container of Italian dressing on the mess and called it a salad. I filled two containers with cookies (butterscotch [which always remind me of Papa] and peanut better chip—two different kinds, not together), cut up a loaf of zucchini bread and put it in another container, got out a bag of chips and went to the basement to get a jar of relish.

When I went down to get the relish, I first set eyes on a lid that said ‘zucchini relish.’ I didn’t remember that I had any left—the last time I made it was in Idaho for goodness sake. I picked the jar up and it was—EMPTY! Uh oh. Then I saw the tomato relish which is what I’d planned on taking in the first place. Whew! Also when I went down, I noticed that it was much warmer in the basement than it was upstairs so I left the door open the let the cool air down and the warm air up.

Everyone and everything was finally ready so we left. Church was good. I sat in Joseph’s Primary class for the last 15 minutes because his teacher had to leave early which was easy enough. The linger longer was good, if you like hot dogs. I don’t. Recall that everyone was supposed to bring a salad. There were three. Only two of us had signed up for cookies, fortunately, there were more than that. Not wanting to eat too much salad, I only had some of one plus some chips. There was some chili people had made for the hot dogs but I didn’t take any, not being in a chili mood. Besides, I like mine hot and it’s not likely any of them were. There was lots of watermelon, which is good, if you like it. I can live without. Once or twice a summer is good enough for me so my quota is full for this year. However, having three containers from the cookies and zucchini bread, we now had three containers for collecting watermelon rinds for the goats. Paul is mostly responsible for collecting them since Daniel wasn’t here (he and Jared did the honors two years ago when we had a similar linger longer). So, it turned out alright but still, some of us will want supper more than others.

One funny thing, after Seth and Mason were done eating and had left to play, Linda and Steve Trivett sat down at our table. They are from a mountainous area in southern California that is not in 'the city' and so have the stigma (like me) of being ‘Californian.’ We had a good visit and agree that people out here do not know how to drive. Let me rephrase that: people out here do NOT know how to drive. That was fun.

And such has been my day thus far today and such was my day yesterday. Currently, Paul, Laura and Joanna are all napping. Or, at least are upstairs each on a bed being quiet. Most likely all are asleep. Seth just got a drink of water and is having a piece of zucchini bread. Cedric and Joseph are in the living room doing something. Amena is in the kitchen with Seth. Now she’s meandering off.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment