Thursday, August 23, 2012

Does Each Day Have to Have a Title?

Good morning! Actually, the jury’s still out on that one; some boys are not exhibiting the best behavior at the table and the day might not be too good for them. It was good until I called them down for breakfast, anyway.

Yesterday. I am thinking that it was too long ago to remember what happened so I might not be able to tell you much. Well, I went to visit Laurie Orzel. I didn’t stay as long as I usually do because Joanna had to go to work and I didn’t want to have everyone home with no supervision. Technically, Amena is old enough to baby sit but realistically, I don’t think it’s wise for her to be the oldest one home when the others include her younger brothers. One or two, maybe, but not all three. Anyway, I left in time to stop at Walmart to get some sugar. I still had time after that so since I was out, I continued on and went to get eggs in Hubbardston. Medium eggs were ‘buy one get one free.’ They sell by the flat and each flat is 2 ½ dozen so five dozen were $3.00. If my math is right, that comes to 60¢ per dozen. And this is for good eggs, not the dross you get at the store. I feel sorry for the chickens who produce the eggs at the store. Their lives are worth as much as the chickens who produce the eggs I got yesterday, but they aren’t treated as well.

At home, I discovered that I’d filled the sugar jar with turbinado sugar so I couldn’t dump in what I’d just brought home. I did put some brown sugar in the brown sugar jar. I made bread which turned out much better than last time. It isn’t as crummy as last time. This time I used almost entirely whole wheat flour. Last time I used five cups of white. This time I used less than two and only because I ran out of whole wheat and didn’t want to take time to grind any because I was kind of at the point where it needed to go in. I also let it run in the mixer longer which is somewhat akin to kneading longer. I thought about doing pictures but my camera needs to be charged so that might have to happen next time.

I spent way too much time downloading video to the post of beach video. I think five were finally successful. Since we have a stronger connection upstairs, I thought that maybe it would work better upstairs but that was not the case. After half an hour and still no success, I gave up and came back downstairs. Actually, that’s partly due to the fact that I had two visitors who didn’t seem too inclined to leave which would have been fine but I find that it’s nice to read while waiting for things to load; it’s hard to read when there are two people vying for your attention.

Joanna took Joseph for a little ride on her scooter to see how well he would do. If he did well enough, she would take him on it when she took him to Friendlys for supper, if not, I would give them a ride. He did alright but was nervous about the whole idea and kept expressing his fear of falling off and going flying if he accidentally let go of Joanna so I took them. The plan was to pick them up on our way to church. When it was time to go to church, I called Joanna to let her know we were on our way, and then as we went to leave, I couldn’t find the keys to the van. I had been the last one to drive it the day before when I went to Walmart and took Cedric. I looked in the window where we usually leave keys. I looked on the counter where I would have left the cocoa powder and chocolate chips. I looked on the washing machine where I would have left the fabric softener. I looked on the bed where I left the toys I got for Amena, Cedric and Seth to give to Joseph for his birthday. The only place I didn’t look was the boys room where I left the totes for them to organize their toys (and if you saw their bedroom, you would understand why).

We managed to get to church where Cedric and Seth had scouts. Joseph played in the nursery. The rest of us cleaned the kitchen. All we had to do is wipe of the counter, the stove, the refrigerator and mop the floor. Very exciting. Nick helped with the mopping. Then Kathy Moss, who is our ‘team leader,’ got him to mop the restrooms as well (which he was happy to do after he got over the strangeness of being in the girls bathroom). The person who had committed to vacuuming the halls didn’t show up so she got Jared Orzel to help with vacuuming. We are in the Gardner team for cleaning so Nick and Jared, being from Gardner, fit right in.

When we got home from church, I looked again in the window for the van key and still didn’t see it. I thought I’d open the window though, to be sure it hadn’t fallen down between the window and the screen. It hadn’t but I heard something. It was the key. It fell out of the little palm tree that is in that window. Apparently it had fallen off the bottom part of the window into the tree. Good grief.

Paul and Laura had gone to Sha Nan’s again to get more wood for dumping. They also went shopping. I’m not sure, but I suspect Paul might be addicted. There are very few days he does NOT stop at at least one store on the way home from work. Last night he brought home two cases of chopped tomatoes because he said he thought we must be getting low. I thought that was funny. He bought two cases not too long ago and I haven’t even gotten to them yet; I’ve been using the older stuff. Which reminds me I really need to get things organized down there so that everything is together. Which means I need to get some stuff moved in the basement so Paul can put up some shelves so that some of the stuff over by the food can be moved to where the new shelves will be. Then I can put stuff away better and be better organized.

Paul and Laura are finally off. I just sent Cedric down to empty the wood out of the back of the truck. He’s not excited but it needs to be done so I can move the truck. Seth and Joseph are supposed to be cleaning their room but in reality are probably playing. I should probably be doing this up there so that I can keep an eye on them. Joanna is showering in order to get ready for work and Amena is getting the dishes done from yesterday.

I would like to get Amena and Seth to the Lunenburg Walmart Vision Center to get new glasses ordered. Amena’s are lost and Seth’s are broken. They both need them for school and it starts Tuesday. Hopefully I know right where their prescriptions are so I won’t have to go and get new ones which will add to the time we have to be out and about.

David, I’m stealing the email I sent you yesterday. I hope you don’t mind too much. Well, part of it, anyway.

Funny thing about hummus--Paul loves it but is allergic to chick peas. I had to look at him funny when he said that because I'd always heard them called garbanzos. Anyway, I had all these garbanzos that somehow managed to come with us from Idaho and I wasn't sure what to do with them because I usually put them in 3-bean salads (which can be really good or really gross) or just in a green salad which I really like. Not an option now unless I add them to my own, which is possible but with so many people to feed, I usually go for simple (read: fewer dishes). Then I thought, well, just because Paul is allergic to the darn things doesn't mean I can't make hummus and eat it. So I did. My recipe is pretty simple. Most of those I found called for tahini as well but I didn't have any on hand and wasn't about to  get some just for this so I kept looking until I found something that looked good and then tweaked it. Here is what I have come up with:

Hummus

-   2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
-   1/4 cup lemon juice
-   1/4 cup olive oil
-   1/2 teaspoon salt
-   garlic--at least two cloves chopped or pressed through a garlic press
-   any additions you might like: cumin, cayenne, your favorite salsa, a jalapeño pepper, your imagination is the limit with amounts dictated by your taste buds

Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend or process.

And that's all there is to it.

And that’s all for today. I hope you have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment