Monday, August 27, 2012

The Quoteless Day

Good morning to you! I decided that since school starts for many kiddos tomorrow, it was time for me to get up earlier and take the dogs out and milk earlier so that whoever is supposed to take the goats out can do it in time to get everything done before catching the bus. Quabbin Regional School District, in an effort to lower expenses, has eliminated one of the busses serving Hubbardston. In a way, I’m almost glad Daniel isn’t here because he’d have to get up even earlier to get on the bus and he already had to get up at 5:30 in 7th Grade. Last year, the bus for Amena, Cedric, Seth and Joseph stopped at 8:50 (more or less). This year it’s supposed to be 8:39 and instead of going straight to school from Pitcherville Road, they have more stops to make. So, I think if I get up and take the dogs out at 6:00, I should be milking by 6:30 at the latest and should be done by 6:45. Then the goats can go out and there will still be at least 40 minutes to finish getting ready for school.

This morning I didn’t quite make it by 6:00. I did make sure I was in bed and done reading by 11:05 (my goal was 11:00 but you know how it is finishing up one last chapter or section or whatever—I just HAD to do it). Then Paul came up and wasn’t in a reading mood so we talked for a while. I’m not sure why, but staying awake talking doesn’t result in the same feeling of tiredness the next day that staying up waiting for spaghetti sauce to finish processing. Anyway, I was up and walking the dogs by 6:20. We moved the stakes for the goats while we were out (yesterday we watered the plants down on and around Daniel’s grave).

Almost every morning when I’m milking, I think that there doesn’t seem to be enough milk in the bucket and I think it’s awful that we aren’t getting as much as we ought. Then I get inside and strain it and there is quite enough. Yesterday morning, for example, there was more than three quarters of a gallon; we’ve only gotten more two or three times. This morning I knew there would be less than normal because they were being milked earlier than normal. Goats are kind of like people. Many nursing mothers who feed on a schedule experience letdown at a certain times. Goats experience a letdown reflex as well and their bodies also get ready for the usual time of milking. Half an hour early is not going to produce as much milk. Tomorrow should be better although it will be a bit earlier than today and Wednesday should be better still. By the end of the week we should be back to normal.

Laura and Paul are almost ready to leave. Amena wants to use my computer to send Paul an email. I’m sure she wants to try to convince him to let her be homeschooled. Joanna is in the shower because she gets to go to the doctor at 9:20. Someone finally answered the phone who understands that she needs to get in the same day we call (partly because he’s the nurse who saw Cedric for his shots Friday and I spoke to him about it). Today is her only day off so it really is the only day she can get in. The boys are in their room. It was clean and picked up yesterday. This morning it is a disaster already. It’s amazing how that happens.

The goats are out and the trampoline moved in order for them to be out. The only problem with this is that the trampoline will need to be moved to a flatter spot in order to be jumped on.

I was going to give you a good quote this morning but I would like to get going with things so I will give it to you in the morning. I am working on a picture post for Joseph’s birthday. In the meantime, you can visit me on Facebook as I’ve posted some of them there.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment