Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Boston Adventure

It is a pretty day outside and not too warm yet with a nice breeze. I was going to mention yesterday that while milking I saw a cardinal and then a red finch as well as lots of robins. I love birds.
Yesterday was an interesting day. I’d planned on taking Laura to Boston sometime before noon as I thought she’d said it didn’t matter when she arrived. Then she told me that she needed to be there at 6:00. Are you serious? Arrive at 6:00? So she called and said she could get there at 5:30 instead. 5:30? Really? Are we aware of rush hour traffic and taking two hours to get anywhere? So I did as much as I could before our scheduled departure time of 2:00 to get her there by 5:30. Was I happy about this? No, not really. No.
We took Cedric with us and had to stop at Radio Shack to get something that she ended up not getting because it wasn’t the cord that was the problem, it was the port on the camera. Then we needed to stop at Walmart. Since I needed to pick up the pictures at the one in Lunenburg, that’s where we went. So, I got pictures, Laura got her batteries, we got some water and snacks because we’d forgotten water at home and I wasn’t about to stop anywhere in or close to Boston for snacks. Then we were off. Sort of. For some reason, the app that I use for GPS was gone. I don’t like using Verizon Navigator because they want to charge for it. Laura’s GPS wouldn’t work because all she has for it to plug in is a USB. Actually, I guess she has an adaptor for it but it was in the glove box of the white car; didn’t do us much good there. Anyway, there is a port on the stereo in the bug but of course it wouldn’t work for her GPS because her GPS thought it was a computer.
Anyway, I told Laura to figure something out with my phone while I was driving from Walmart to route 2. She did, but it wasn’t quite working right so it was a bit strange. Traffic was okay until we got on 95. It was crawling. And then we got on 9. It was not good. I really had to use a bathroom by now. We stopped at a Dunkin’ Donuts and they didn’t have a bathroom. So we got back in the car and kept going. We were looking for something that never appeared and eventually, we ran out of 9. Well, it isn’t like I could just stop so we could figure out where we were so we kept going. Eventually, we ended up on 93 north. Not the direction we wanted to be going in. And it went underground. I had to go really, and I do mean really, bad by now. So bad that I considered stopping on the side of the tunnel in which we found ourselves and using one of the alcoves as a toilet. But although there was one good place to stop, the rest of it was not good so we kept going. Laura called the sisters and they said we needed to take exit 18 but it was behind us. She got something working on my phone finally and we got off 93 in order to turn around and there was a school bus lot. I thought, “I can go between two busses, no problem.” But of course there’s a gate and it’s locked. There was a warehouse of some kind on the other side of the street with an alcove and a dumpster. That looked fine. I didn’t care. I pulled in, got out, and couldn’t move. If I moved, I was just going to have an accident right then and there. Great. Now what? Well, I did the only thing I could: I squatted down and went in my pants. Funny thing about that though, for as bad as I had to go, nothing happened. It did eventually, but the spontaneous leaking that would have occurred if I’d have walked to the dumpster didn’t happen squatting.
In spite of being wet, I felt much better. And, by the way, the fun of driving around needing to pee and having no idea where I was (other than in Boston). Looking at the map, I can see where we stopped. Cedric had to go as well but he went over behind the dumpster.
From there we were able to get back on 93 headed south and get off on exit 18. It wasn’t long, relatively speaking, before we arrived at our destination which was a good thing because by then Laura needed to use a bathroom.
Laura was successfully dropped off and Cedric and I were finally on our way home by about 6:30 (which is only about 10 minutes after we arrived—so much for getting there at 5:30). I wasn’t sure how long it would take to get home but we made decent time and were home at 8:00. Whew! What a day. I’d told Laura that getting there at 5:30 was going to turn this four-hour trip into a six-hour ordeal. I wouldn’t have minded being wrong but it was spot on. Wouldn’t have been six hours if we’d not have made a couple of stops on the way and/or we’d have had the navigation on my phone that disappeared.
When we got home, I changed and Cedric and I ate. We had family prayer and read scriptures. Then three boys were sent to bed and Amena went to bring in the goats. I had some ice-cream and sat down to do 30 minutes of studying phlebotomy. When I was done with that, I looked through the rest of the book and discovered that this book really has nothing to do with phlebotomy. It has to do with interpreting tests and so forth. Phlebotomists don’t interpret anything, they just draw blood and are aware of what tubes need to be used for which tests. Well, there is more to it than that, but interpreting tests in not in the scope of what they do. I went online and discovered some phlebotomy practice tests and paid for and downloaded them. What this means is that although this other book has a lot of really interesting information, it isn’t information that I will need to take the test so it was a wasted $80. Plus shipping. I’m thinking of listing it on ebay or Amazon. I won’t get the whole $80 back, but I’ll get something.
I did do my stretches in the morning and my stretches in the evening and I did my 2 minute plank challenge. I did not get any writing done and very little reading. So, an interesting day but not one I care to repeat.
Today along with the other things I have on my list, I want to examine the map and discover where we were when we were lost. It’s kind of fun doing that.

Have a terrific day!

No comments:

Post a Comment