Sunday, July 14, 2013

Bring on the Milk

Good morning! Other than the fact that the temperature is once again too high for the time of day (and the fact that the humidity is almost certain to be high as well), it is a good morning.
I milked at 7:00 this morning rather than 7:30 and in spite of that and because the kids were not allowed near their mother all day or night, milk production more than doubled. It had been averaging, for the month of July, 23.06 ounces. This morning it was 48.2. I like that much better. It means we’re getting a decent amount of milk and will have enough to actually do something with rather than having it disappear as soon as it is strained. The amazing thing is how efficient those kids are at getting milk out of their mother. I have to assume that she actually produces about the same amount of milk each day. Maybe not quite as much yesterday because they weren’t with her all day sucking but somewhat close, anyway. The night before last the kids got in with the does and were in for maybe ten minutes. That means that in that amount of time, they wiped out everything Snowflake had produced during the day and left me with only what she produced over night which was not a whole a lot. The difference is just astounding.
If you compare with yesterdays pictures, you can definately tell the difference.
Yesterday morning when I was done with my blogging duties, and we pulled weeds in the garden for 30 minutes and I moved the kids to the other side of the garden, I showered and took Joseph to the Barre Farmer’s Market. Westminster was pretty good. Barre was better. I visited with a man who makes cookies and pies who had been in Westminster as well. He said he sold out that day and therefore was up all night baking for Barre. He also does Hardwick which is on Sunday’s and therefore wouldn’t be an option for me but he said it is very small so it probably wouldn’t be an option anyway.
Don't you think?
I also talked to a group of Quabbin Regional High School students. They had salves, seeds, lip balms and related items. No soap. I noticed that the lip balm said it was made in Hubbardston and I asked them about that. So they proceeded to tell me that the High School does a composing program and that it was actually started in Hubbardston before it was at the High School and that they meet at their advisors house which is in Hubbardston. Very cool, I think. Amena did composting in 4th, 5th and 6th grades so she is familiar with it and I bought goat milk from their advisor before we had goats that were producing. These students told me that the middle school doesn’t participate because the principal doesn’t like the idea. I just shook my head and smiled, “Somehow, that doesn’t surprise me,” I said. And it doesn’t. I’ve met the middle school principal on more than one occasion and she is very French and does seem to have a bit of an attitude. Which doesn’t detract from the fact that she does her job very well; we are all very different and can’t all have the same likes and dislikes, abilities, and attitudes.
This shows how much work there is yet to do.
When I got home, I started working on a baby ball for the baby shower I was planning on attending. I also got a bar of soap ready and even though Paul didn’t get home until 12:50 (the shower started at 1:00), I did not have time to finish the ball so I stuck a note in with the soap.
The ball.
The shower was nice. There was one woman there I didn’t recognize and never did catch her name but she was there with Joy so I’m guessing a friend. Other than that there was Emily West (it was at her house), Chris Goguen (whose house we go to for swimming), Amy Troop (who isn’t too hopeful we’ll ever be able to have a regular pot luck because the people here don’t seem to know how to bring enough food [I’ve noticed]), Kim Miller (who was spearheading the whole event), Lacie Iacobone (who made the cake), Paralee King, Elizabeth Shakespeare, Cheri Brimhall, and Pam Heckle. I think I’ve remembered everyone. Anyway, it was nice, there was good food and a cool cake. And an appreciated project resulting in a fleece blanket for Joy to take home.
When I got home from that, I went to work on finishing the ball. I also cut out pieces to make one for Steve (a guy who works with Paul) and his new baby and one for Meredith. I can think of a few others I could make as well, but they’ll have to wait for another time. They are easy to make, and don’t take much time, but are incredibly boring so more than three at a time is, for me, too much. They’d be good to take somewhere to keep my hands occupied if stuffing them wasn’t part of the process.
Then we needed to eat and Amena needed to borrow my computer and we did prayer and finished the 5th chapter of Jacob. Then I did what I needed to do to be ready to teach the Laurel’s today. While I was doing that, I ate some ice-cream. Eventually I went to bed and read a couple of articles by Richard G. Scott and a few pages of Inheritance before I needed to stop and Paul came to bed.
And that was yesterday. Today I need to remember soap for the Troop’s and the ball for the Yang’s and milk for the Beaudette’s.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment